Sign in to follow this  
KMG

Glade Top Trail

This past weekend we traveled the Glade Top Trail in SW Missouri to Blue Springs campsite on the Jacks Fork river.  About 100 miles of back roads.  Here are a few images.  I can't get a video to load and can't keep the image  orientation correct.  Website manager need to improve the ease of use.  

post-1046-0-78416000-1464362082_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-19026300-1464362106_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-35221200-1464362153_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-73170700-1464362179_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-06997400-1464362655_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-13728900-1464362788_thumb.jpg

Beautiful area. We plan to return to Missouri and will add it to the itinerary. Since it is a biway, does that mean paved or dirt roads, or is it one the many trails that shadow the river systems?

So different than what we are used to...

The "trail" is a smooth gravel & dirt forestry road.  Two wheel drive conditions.  The campsite has a 2 mile 4x4 trail but that's what makes it less likely to be occupied.  I'd try it in a 2 wheel drive NV if I was with someone with 4x4 in case you need help.  Two other sites at Blue Springs only require 2 wheel drive.  To me, the upper Jacks Fork and the upper Buffalo river in northern Arkansas are the best in the midwest.  You're welcome to set up base camp at my place any time.  Good to hear from you, Radin2son

Edited by KMG

Same... I wish more people would post photos of their trips.

With more reservations required, now at many national monuments and some forest service campgrounds, it is great to have known alternatives posted to say nothing of the scenery.

I agree. Here are a few more images of the area from past trips.

post-1046-0-40373600-1464376414_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-17272200-1464376438_thumb.jpeg

post-1046-0-45038100-1464376470_thumb.jpeg

post-1046-0-51080700-1464376502_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-33056700-1464376532_thumb.jpg

Edited by KMG

Water, smooth roads; next you will be posting photos of level sites. Looks very tempting. You may see our van on your property... 2017?

Beautiful photos!! I've never been to that part of the country. (Mostly in southwest) thanks for sharing the pics, it's all so green over there.

The grass is always greener...  I look at images of the SW and think, Wow look at all of the trails my high roof van can clear.

That's why we need to post photos and descriptions of the areas.

Bamps, when start taking your NV out, post... There are some professional photographers on this forum; none have been critical of our smart phone photos.

KMG, I know you read Overland. The current issue's articles on Big Bend National Park (don't miss the state park) and the Gila Wilderness should get you to point your NV in this direction.

Although I wouldn't want another VW the 2x4 Vanagon redo and trip was impressive. Wonder who will be the first to take their NV around the world? The first thing needed is a range of 600 miles... Anything else?

I do read Overland and my wife just returned from a wedding in St. George, UT area.  Both her pics and the article make me want to travel for 3 months in the area.

I'd want more ground clearance and the increase in fuel capacity if I was going global.

I may have said this before; you can spend every vacation in Utah and never see it all. We like St George and Cedar City. Sometime in the future is a short trip Puebloan Ancestral sites in that area and futher up I-15. Next up is a trip to the area around Telluride, CO. Between weather and medical stuff, mine, we have had to delay this trip.

No global trips for us.