Sign in to follow this  
Bamps

Roof racks

I've looked at roof racks and decided not to buy one. The aluminum ones looked nice until I got to the price and found myself bellowing out a blood curdling scream!! Anyways, my son's building me one. All aluminum. Will hold solar panels and eventually an LED light bar. Not done but it's started. post-1590-0-59130800-1477421636_thumb.jpg

Pretty nice to have a son that can weld aluminum!  I went with the Topper tubular galvanized steel rack.  It was around $400 shipped and supports 400-750 lbs depending on supports used.  I do wish it was a little wider but I think the fancy Aluminess ones were the same width.  Mine is definitely heavier than aluminum but nothing two people cant handle for the install.  Works out for our needs the way I have it modified (I needed to carry 3 kayaks and didnt want to stack them).

Please post up photos when it is finished.  I know the guy that owns the "Beast" on here had one custom made out of aluminum based off the Aluminess style, even with the same ladder design by a custom boat fab shop.   I wanted to buy one but they would not ship it.  

Pretty nice to have a son that can weld aluminum! I went with the Topper tubular galvanized steel rack. It was around $400 shipped and supports 400-750 lbs depending on supports used. I do wish it was a little wider but I think the fancy Aluminess ones were the same width. Mine is definitely heavier than aluminum but nothing two people cant handle for the install. Works out for our needs the way I have it modified (I needed to carry 3 kayaks and didnt want to stack them).

Please post up photos when it is finished. I know the guy that owns the "Beast" on here had one custom made out of aluminum based off the Aluminess style, even with the same ladder design by a custom boat fab shop. I wanted to buy one but they would not ship it.

My two kayaks are sitting in my yard. Haven't been used in a few yrs. I wanted to mount the solar panels but have a problem with umpteem holes drilled in my roof. If it weren't for those I wouldn't put ne up. This will have trays for the panels. And is as wide as the factory mounts. We designed this one ourselves. Edited by Bamps

I've been following you folks' posts about solar panel setups. I had almost ordered the topper tubular rack when i discovered these monocrystaline solar panels. They are flexible and can be hard (or soft) mounted directly to the roof. I may even have them on the roof underneath a rack as i dont intend on having it loaded up (covering panels) full time.
Just thought id point it out as an option to hard mounting on a frame. A friend has two of these on his RV and has no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrystalline-Lightweight-Solar-Panel/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477842467&sr=8-2&keywords=flexible+solar+panel

I saw those too but with the ridges in the roof I knew I would need a rack to mount them on any ways. I bought the renogy 200w kit. With the solid panels. This rack will have two trays that will hold them.@Spacecaptain

Edited by Bamps