aabel

Adding handle to sliding door

I always find myself reaching to the back of the sliding door and pushing it closed. I don't like wrenching on the front plastic handle so much, so I'm thinking about adding a handle to the exterior rear of the door mounted vertically. It would especially help whenever the van is parked on any inclines. Am I the only one who thinks he needs this?

I don't think I'd consider adding a handle, personally. But, I do agree with you that the stock plastic handle does make me a little wary of its durability to last 10+ years. It probably will, but it's a piece that Nissan should have put more time and an extra $10 into designing so it feels more robust and satisfying to operate. I'm big into the tactile and mechanical feel of switches, levers, etc. and there's a lot to be said for pieces that just feel "right".

It just doesn't feel right pulling all the weight just by the same mechanism that opens the regular doors. If I add a handle I'll post some pics.

Just be sure the handle is in the closed position when pulling the door forward.  It feels plenty strong and solid when the door impacts close.  Also if the passenger front door is open; the sliding door closes much easier due to not having to try and compress the air in the van.