Sign in to follow this  
kodos

Power Inverter and Crockpots

We are the proud new owners of a 2015 Java NV3500 SL! We got it due to our family outgrowing minivans (we are planning to have our fifth child soon) and our love for roadtrips.

We are planning our first trip from Texas to Missouri next week, and we have it in our minds to use our crockpot to cook while we travel so we can stop at a rest stop and eat, instead of spending money on food while out (also our youngest two have food allergies that makes eating out a dicey affair sometimes).

Electrical systems are not my specialty, and I notice that it appears as if the NV3500 is limited to 150W when driving according to the owner manual.

Does anyone know of a crockpot that would fit the bill? I'm not certain what Wattage my crockpot (it is a 6 qt.) uses at the various settings. Does anyone have experience with crockpot cooking in the NV3500?

There are also two outlets in the van. What are the limits in running multiple devices at once? My kids loved being able to play their WiiU in the van (the gamepad acts as the display when you don't have it plugged into a TV).

Well, after doing more research - this seems like a bad idea. Crockpots (unless they are a dinky one that is suitable for 1 or 2 people) draw way more watts than our inverters are capable of when driving. So, that's out of the question.

I'm looking into Thermal Cookers instead - those seem like a great idea for a roadtrip like ours.

If you are staying in motels or even KOA cabins, or are they Kabins, and no microwave is in the room, bring one with you to cook your meals. We have not stayed in a motel in the past 2 years; the last 3 when we picked up our camper. 1 had none and 1 had one but it was gone when we stayed there again a week later.

Where am I going with this? We have a very old Coleman cooler, only used as a cooler, that also keeps food warm. It is 12v and 110, so you can plug in your room to keep cooked meals warm and then plug it into the 12v outlet in your NVP. Very little drain on the battery when stopped, but don't leave it on in your NVP overnight. Coleman still makes these, just more expensive. I don't know if there is a risk of food poisoning but the meals would be fully cooked, then kept warm.

OR... If the NV inverter can handle this, when you are stopped and willing to run the engine as a generator, you can use a microwave oven. We have a 2000w inverter in our van and will do this when no electrical hookup is available. (Otherwise, we get out our camp stove.)

Last year we met a couple with an NV just like ours. To conserve their camper batteries, he used the NV inverter and van battery to brew tea. He didn't have to use the engine to do this...

Edited by radin2son

There are 12 volt crockpots available in truckstops that don't do a bad job, not really that big though, I used them to heat water into which i would drop my food sealed in a foodsaver bag, easy clean up and worked pretty good (I used to be a trucker), I think you can find them online also

We use an electric cooler / warmer for road trips. They are very popular with truckers and easy to find. It will not cook, but keeps food either hot or cold and runs off of 12volt connection.  Ours spends the entire summer stationed just behind the center console of our NV for road trips and there's an outlet to plug it into inside the console box.