Sign in to follow this  
macman58

Cargo or Passenger? V6 or V8

I've been contemplating for quite some time now getting a Nissan NV 1500 cargo van, to be used primarily for camping, hauling the kayaks and bikes, etc. 

Most of the time, it will be me and maybe one other person. However, I do have two kids and my live-in girlfriend, so I was thinking I would have a 3-seat bench added to the back of the van, which would fold out to a sleeper (Van Conversions, Portland), and also a window on the sliding door. Totaling about $4k in after market costs.

Now, however, I'm rethinking the idea of getting a NVP, and taking out all the seats when I'm traveling only with one other passenger--opening the cargo capacity to allow for sleeping inside--and using either the rear bench or the seats directly behind driver/passenger when I want to travel with my kids in tow.

Advantages of cargo van: cheaper, by about 10k, on average, minus the $4k or so I will have to spend to make it passenger worthy. More ability to haul toys. Could likely sleep four inside the van, with the fold-out bed and either air mattress or a couple of cots.

Advantages of NVP: passenger air bags, air conditioning, windows already in, quieter interior, flexibility of hauling big parties should the need arise.

I've also been leaning towards the V6 just because I'm coming from a Honda Accord that gets 30 mpg on highway, and the idea of getting half of that, or less, pains me. However, should I opt for the NVP, with its additional weight of about 900 pounds over the Cargo, I'm thinking maybe the V8 would be the way to go, as it might get pretty similar gas mileage to the V6 while having more oomph.

Any thoughts? Thanks! First-time poster who is very excited about possibility of joining the ownership ranks.

Can't speak to the cargo van, but our family of 8 hasn't had any issues with our V6 NVP.  It's not a lot, but we pull a 1000lb. trailer loaded with bikes all over the place and it's never struggled.

I'm sure it's a lot more quiet than the V8 as well.  I didn't fully appreciate that until I drove a Chevy Express rental van and had to practically scream anytime I wanted to talk to someone in the back.  

We've reconfigured the seats countless times as well depending on who's riding with us.  Shuttling family to/from an airport, bringing along the kids friends to clubs/events, having some extra company on vacations, etc.

We're trying to figure out how to sleep 8 (all kids are under 10) in the van at rest stops for our next trip.  Some of them could lay across the seats, others in-between on the floor perhaps?? We'll figure it out haha.

Thanks for the input, Jonathan.

Jonathan, and anyone else who might be able to provide input: when you take the seats out, is the floor surface suitable for sleeping on? I'm wondering if I could put cargo mats down to smooth out the bumps? I envision using this Van mostly as a two-seater with empty cargo space, with the option of using the extra seats when necessary. Will that work, or do I need to go the Cargo Van route?

thanks for any input.

post-1046-0-87105200-1463062577_thumb.jpegHave you considered using camp style bunk beds?

I have clients that have gone both directions like you are considering.  The bumpyness in the floor of the passenger is a non issue because there are covers and at minimum I'd think you'd have a roll out mat to sleep on and not even notice.

As for the cargo, your up fit cost is way to much in my opinion.  Buy a van with side glass, I'd add side glass to the other side opposite the door ($500 installed would be fair on that) and do your sleeper bench.  4k is probably double what I'd be able to get that done for.

I think Jonathan Lindsey is on the right track. At 1000 lbs he must be pulling an enclosed cargo trailer.

If you're not opposed to towing, you'll find a cargo trailer to be very versatile. Toy hauling when you need it and they can be equipped with fold down bunk beds (or singles) on the sidewalls.

Sounds like you are in the northwest with hopefully a moderate climate. Perhaps you could get by with just a vent fan for the roof.

I'm afraid you'll experience misery trying to sleep four in an NV of any type. Just not enough room for people plus gear.

So I'd vote for the NVP and a cargo trailer to cover your scenarios.

I have MVP, and for 1-ton van, the ride is surprisingly good. The ride is a lot better than the vans we have at work (Ford 12 passenger vans).

The privacy Windows is such that if I am in the back, people walking by don't realize I am there. Best of both worlds.

If you are looking to get good mpg, you bought the wrong vehicle. I would get the V8 for such a heavy van.

Every so often I look at the Sportsmobile site to see if they have any used NV conversions. Here is one that may fit your needs. It is a 2012 V6 for $34,500 with 15,500 miles that probably was a custom build. Keep in mind the pop top, aka penthouse, now costs between $7000-8000.

It is a very basic conversion. If the rear mattress is like ours, it comes out and the platform can be removed. Same for the upper bed platform with mattress. When you have the top up, the platform is suspended. You just drop it down when you need it. The table is something to leave at home; not sure what the "footstool" is all about. Looks like it could be a portapot.

The van is in Moro Bay, CA (central coast). Nice area to pick it up. The contact person is at Sportsmobile West (sportsmobile.com) or 559-233-8267.

Looked at the photos more closely. Included with the top are lights. Also the bottom the side window can be opened and works quite well for ventilation, just not while driving. several of us have these same windows. My guess is that the whole mattress/platform comes out as a unit... Easy enough to add seatbelts to the bench seat. In ours, only the outboard seat has a shoulder belt; except for dogs, we don't carry passengers.

post-376-0-53509600-1463453996_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-40484900-1463454023_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-64116200-1463454045_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Radin2son, thanks for that Sportsmobile listing. That looks sweet. Very similar to my 2003 Eurovan Weekender.

That rig would certainly fit what I'm looking for.

Rad

Every so often I check on the high roof conversion you posted about months ago. It is at Wilder RV in Port Angeles, WA. It is a "brand new" 2013 for 64K.

I'm amazed that it hasn't sold - dealer must be locked on that price.

macman58,

The SMB forum formula for a used SMB is the going price for the vehicle and 50% of the conversion cost. Good luck on that!

In 2012, a V6 SV sold for $27,650 ($28550 for the V8) MSRP. Rear glass was $190, side door glass (fixed) was $70 and $995 destination. The ph in 2012 added $5719 plus $99 for zippered screens, $425 for the ph bed and $739 to have the ph painted.

I believe the ph when up can hold 100 pounds. Check out all the racks and stuff people put on these tops.

No idea what options are on the NV or what the rest of the conversion cost or if there are house batteries. If there are no batteries, I think the goal zero solar powered generator is a perfect application. Remove the generator from the van when not needed. Expensive, however...

The footstool gives you a leg up to get into the ph. I would add a few floor level open cabinets to hold the generator+ and use the top of the cabinet to help get up to the ph. Very comfortable by the way.

Wollip,

Bad, no make that terrible marketing by SMB and Nissan. That dealer wants too much and when people find out the price, they walk away knowing they can get a bigger rig for less money. What they don't know...

Nissan apparently is no longer involved in this venture and SMB still does a terrible job of marketing them. Maybe when the Ford E-series 4x4 group need to replace their Fords, they will finally see the value of NVs. The SMB web site is loaded with used 4x4 Fords...

The new $147,000 4x4 Chevy SMB sold. Who has that type of money?

rad

Edited by radin2son

Thank you, everyone for your helpful feedback. My follow up question is has anyone taking their RWD NV off road (I've scoured the 4 x 4 links) and if so, how did it handle? I think I would want to take mine more on fire roads than baja beachfront, and would consider larger, AT tires. I've driven on lots of fire roads with 2wd cars, front and rear drive, and other than an old Lexus LS400 that I took up a nasty section of fire road near Hetch Hetchy, I've never had any regrets. Being on a truck based platform I'm guessing the NV would be some what rugged? I'm not looking for a big time off roader, but I'd like to get to some trail heads and lakeshores via fire roads. I would prefer NV over a Frontier or Pathfinder, and think it would suit my needs. Any experiences you can share are appreciated.

RWD would be "enough" but 4WD gives me the ability to drive the places you described when conditions change.  Last trip my RWD was fine to go down to a sweet private river side campsite, a 5 minute little rain shower changed the exit to 4WD with wheel spin.  One can get stuck, spend hours trying to get unstuck, wait hours for help, and completely ruin an outing many times for the cost of 4WD.  For me, the NV wouldn't fit my needs without 4WD.  In the end only you can determine if the $10-$12K 4WD conversion is worth the investment.  Good luck, KMG

Weight, width and length are a NV problem in general when negotiating primitive roads. V8, 4x4 and lift can help, but don't do away with how wide and long they are. Meeting an oncoming vehicle on a narrow dirt road with soft or no driveable shoulder can get interesting. Smaller vehicles get out of the way...

Odd choice, Frontier or Pathfinder vs NV, as they are not in the same league. I do like the current Frontier, however, and would go that direction if we no longer had our NV.

Radin2son, you make good points about the size of Van. And you're right--NV is much different beast than Frontie or Pathie. I obviously need to clarify for myself whether I'm looking more for Campervan setup or off-road adventure with rooftop tent instead of van for primary sleeping quarters.

We would put the roof top set up on the current Frontier before the fashion designers get to it. On this trip, we have seen this set up on a 4Runner and new Tacoma.

But, we have what we have and love it...

I was going to mention as others have.  You really need to think about where you want to go and purpose your trying to fill here.  I'd imagine in most places of the country, an "offroad" NV means a scratched up NV.  I knew in my f150 in the pacific northwest many many trails I was hitting brush and causing alot of damage and the NV is waaaay larger. 

Just something to think about

The above used NV SMB sold! I didn't think it would sell that fast. Wonder if the new owner will check in on this forum.

And they are finally lowering the price on the 2013 high roof conversion at Wilder RV referenced earlier in this thread.