Hello.  We are a family of seven (and a dog) looking to purchase a large passenger van in the fairly near future.  We currently drive a Toyota Sienna and had pretty much decided on a 12 passenger Ford Transit, but lately I've been reconsidering the NV Passenger.  I like some of the things I'm seeing, particularly the apparent legroom, comfort, and ease of removing/rearranging the seats.  I am having trouble with the low gas mileage and relative lack of cargo space behind the last row when all seats are in, but also I think it would also be easier to find snow tires for the NV and that it would just be better in the snow in general with the weight.  In some ways I wish we did some towing so that this decision would be easier, but we don't.  I do like the option, though, of being able to tow something heavy if we want to at some point.  I don't see that being anytime soon, however.

So right now I'm very torn.  I have an appointment to test drive an NV Passenger tomorrow night, so hopefully I will know more then.  In the meantime, if anyone wants to chime in and sell me on the Nissan, I'm all ears.  Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your test drive. That will tell you a lot. There are several families on this forum that are in the same process. Let us know what you decide and why.

We came from Sienna to NV. We are a six-person family and all of us love this van. We thought we will miss some of the luxury items in Sienna. We did have to put a DVD player, but every single one of us love this van. Lack of cargo space? We pulled two-seat unit in the back and that gave us more than enough cargo room (kids love being able to exit through the rear door). So we have 10 passenger van with plenty of cargo space. We didn't do it for cargo though. We did it for our German Shepherd. Even without puttling the seats out, there are room under the rear seat that you could utilize also.

In comparison to other full size vans, mpg is pretty much comparable. Ford has tendency to tweak their numbers so I would not consider that a major plus. In the actual application, mpg is pretty much comparable, unless you get a diesel. But then again, diesel is not problem-free either.

Let's face it, if you like to maximize your mpg, you certainly should not make it large. Vans are not designed for mpg.

Everything about this van screams out 'heavy-duty'. FYI, Nissan van has substantially larger brakes than any other competition, which I think is a very important factor.

Enjoy your test drive. That will tell you a lot. There are several families on this forum that are in the same process. Let us know what you decide and why.

Thanks, radin2son.  I'll definitely give an update after I have driven one tomorrow night. :)

We came from Sienna to NV. We are a six-person family and all of us love this van. We thought we will miss some of the luxury items in Sienna. We did have to put a DVD player, but every single one of us love this van. Lack of cargo space? We pulled two-seat unit in the back and that gave us more than enough cargo room (kids love being able to exit through the rear door). So we have 10 passenger van with plenty of cargo space. We didn't do it for cargo though. We did it for our German Shepherd. Even without puttling the seats out, there are room under the rear seat that you could utilize also.

In comparison to other full size vans, mpg is pretty much comparable. Ford has tendency to tweak their numbers so I would not consider that a major plus. In the actual application, mpg is pretty much comparable, unless you get a diesel. But then again, diesel is not problem-free either.

Let's face it, if you like to maximize your mpg, you certainly should not make it large. Vans are not designed for mpg.

Everything about this van screams out 'heavy-duty'. FYI, Nissan van has substantially larger brakes than any other competition, which I think is a very important factor.

Thanks for the input, chphilo.  

How exactly does Ford tweak their numbers?  I hadn't heard that before.  Would be good to know.  If they are truly pretty much the same then that would definitely change things up for us a bit and make it a bit easier to lean toward the NV.  I'm not looking to maximize mpg exactly; just trying to do the best I can with the larger vehicle that we need.  We're just not fitting very well in the Sienna on long trips these days.  

I have read a little bit about the bigger brakes on the NV.  Does it actually stop faster than other large vans, particularly the Transit?  That would be a huge plus in my book.  

No matter what, I'm really looking forward to checking out the NV and seeing how different the interior is in passenger room.  The Transit was definitely a tight fit in the back, though the 15 passenger (with a couple of seats out for cargo) would give us more options for having an empty seat here and there for some breathing room.  The leg room, however, would still be an issue with the Transit in either 12 or 15 passenger, and we have very tall children.  I can see them being very cramped back there as they grow.  Thus enters the NV!

The rear legroom was the determining factor for us. We are a family of 7 with two teenagers coming from an Expedition EL. I really wanted the Transit to work for us since it's lighter and should get better fuel economy, However, my legs were against the seatbacks in the 3rd and 4th rows of the Transit and I'm only 5'-10". I have a good 2+" of clearance in the NVP.

Our entire reason for going to a full size van was to gain additional space for people and cargo. The Transit was going to be less comfortable for the rear passengers than the Expedition we already had. That alone was enough to eliminate it from contention.

We also have a 2002 Odyssey that we use for short trips or less than full loads. If everyone is going, the kids always want the NV because they each have a one-seat buffer zone between each other. 

As for cargo, we have one of the 4th row seat pairs removed. That seems to be working pretty well.

I will also mention that the brakes do have a good, powerful feel. They definitely seem better than the Expedition. Even my wife noticed it.

Good luck.

How exactly does Ford tweak their numbers?  I hadn't heard that before.  

I have read a little bit about the bigger brakes on the NV.  Does it actually stop faster than other large vans, particularly the Transit?  That would be a huge plus in my book.  

Before formulating the SAE standard for towing (which Ford was one of the participants in formulating process), manufacturers advertised whatever towing number they could. Both Ford and GM are guilty of playing this game. Then everyone thought it was a good idea to have some kind of standard, hence came the SAE standard for towing. Guess which company refused to test their vehicles by the standard first. Ford. Other companies followed. Then a few years later, after working on their vehicles for a few years they began testing according to the standard. But even now, it's an interesting read to read their spec page. They have a numerous configurations and only a very select few has number even remotely approaching their advertised towing number.

Look at their advertised mpg number and go to Ford forum and compare to the mpg numbers reported by the owners. You will see what I am talking about.

Large brakes are definitely plus in stopping, but for towing purposes it is very important for heat dissipation. Ford is known to have tiny brakes (even in their 1/2 ton trucks (their 1 ton truck has similar size brake as Nissan van). I remember seeing a video of different trucks towing up and down a steep hill and remember that Ford truck had very high brake temperature after coming down the hill. That would be a serious concern for me. When the brakes get too hot, they tend to fail. I do feel more comfortable with 1 ton brakes on a 1 ton vehicle.

Ok, so I did the test drive yesterday.  I was less than impressed with the dealership, but we'll leave that out of the equation for now.  The NV itself rode very well compared to what I expected, and I didn't have much trouble at all driving it.  For a big box on wheels I was surprised that I was as comfortable with it as I was.  It did feel very roomy for passengers compared to the long wheelbase Transit.  I was hoping for a bit more cargo room with half of the back seating removed, but I'm trying to remember that it goes up high and there is also some storage availability under the seats.  The screen/camera wasn't quite as big as I had hoped, but I really liked that it felt so solid driving it.  I'm not quite sure how else to put that.  It just felt substantial and solid but still quite manageable.  Overall I'm pretty impressed.  This is a very hard decision, but then again I'm not exactly known for being decisive. ;)

Thanks, jaredg, for your perspective as another family of seven.  Very helpful!

And I do like the idea of solid brakes, too, chphilo.  Kind of important...lol!

I'm not quite sure where we are going from here.  Lots to think about. The NV definitely has my attention now!

Quiet7 -

Another factor to consider is how the NV is built. It is more truck than van. With the NV you have in front of you and your family a heavy motor and substantial crumple zone in the event of a wreck. With any of the competition the driver and front passenger are "first ones to the scene" as they say.

Definitely something you hope never gets utilized but something to consider nevertheless.

Don't worry about the "selling" dealership, unless there are few close by. Go with the best price, then find a good commercial dealership service department. Under "maintenance" topic, there is a thread for positive service experience. With luck you may be near one listed. There have been no new posts in a long time and I'm hoping all the new NVP owners will update this list. We keep these on file when we travel.

I agree with the ride and handling comments. The NV drives much more like a 3/4ton pickup than a 1/2 ton, and it's light years ahead of the GM vans in terms of handling, steering, and braking. It's really not comparable to the Transit, the focus is so completely different. I considered both, seriously, even going so far as to email Mike Levien (spelling?) the former editor of pickuptrucks.com and current Ford Truck PR guy, and said I wanted a Transit if only they could tow, and he nicely replied that they weren't designed with any serious towing in mind, but he hoped I'd end up with a Transit anyhow. Needless to say we went with the NV, and I have zero doubts it was the right choice for us.

Quiet7 -

Another factor to consider is how the NV is built. It is more truck than van. With the NV you have in front of you and your family a heavy motor and substantial crumple zone in the event of a wreck. With any of the competition the driver and front passenger are "first ones to the scene" as they say.

Definitely something you hope never gets utilized but something to consider nevertheless.

Yes, I've been thinking about that, too.  I like the hood up front in the NV for that very reason, but then I also think about the kids in the rear seats and how little room there is between the back door and back seats.  The Transit would be the opposite.  I also read somewhere that there was a study about the truck/frame vs. unibody construction, and people were more likely to be killed in a truck/fram vehicle than in a unibody.  That really surprised me, if it's true.  I think I would feel much safer in a large, heavy truck, but this seemed to point to the opposite.  So I'm kind of all over the place on the safety bit.  Maybe the crumple zone in the back of the NV would be enough (if there is one)?  Having been seriously rear-ended before, it's definitely on my mind.  But with regard to the front, I know the Transit doesn't get great safety ratings for the passenger (3 stars), which is generally me on long trips. 

Don't worry about the "selling" dealership, unless there are few close by. Go with the best price, then find a good commercial dealership service department. Under "maintenance" topic, there is a thread for positive service experience. With luck you may be near one listed. There have been no new posts in a long time and I'm hoping all the new NVP owners will update this list. We keep these on file when we travel.

There are few close by that are Business Certified.  The next closest one is more than twice as far away and at least an hour.  Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance thread list of good service centers.  Unfortunately none are near us.  We may try to find a good used NV (I know the availability will be quite limited) and take it to the closest dealership for service and then go from there.  Hopefully we'll have a better experience with the service than with the sales.

I agree with the ride and handling comments. The NV drives much more like a 3/4ton pickup than a 1/2 ton, and it's light years ahead of the GM vans in terms of handling, steering, and braking. It's really not comparable to the Transit, the focus is so completely different. I considered both, seriously, even going so far as to email Mike Levien (spelling?) the former editor of pickuptrucks.com and current Ford Truck PR guy, and said I wanted a Transit if only they could tow, and he nicely replied that they weren't designed with any serious towing in mind, but he hoped I'd end up with a Transit anyhow. Needless to say we went with the NV, and I have zero doubts it was the right choice for us.

That's why I wish we had something to tow...lol.  Would make this decision much easier!

I totally agree with your concerns regarding a rear end collision. Since I don't tow anything, I keep a Bumper Shield XL permanently installed in the hitch. It also helps with stepping in and out of the rear doors. Check it out at sparebumper.com .

Not a perfect solution (what is?) but perhaps enough to help out on city streets.

I totally agree with your concerns regarding a rear end collision. Since I don't tow anything, I keep a Bumper Shield XL permanently installed in the hitch. It also helps with stepping in and out of the rear doors. Check it out at sparebumper.com .

Not a perfect solution (what is?) but perhaps enough to help out on city streets.

I've seen those before but didn't really realize what they were for.  Thanks!

I used pipe clamps to slightly compress mine when installing it. Unless a thief brings his own pipe clamps it will not come out of the receiver. No need for a lock that way.

I'm a family of 7 also, and the NV has been the best vehicle we've ever bought! The only thing I wish it had was the 5.0 Cummins diesel.... but I only desire that the 4 or 5 times a year we do some serious towing. It has made going places with the family so much easier compared to our Yukon XL.

I used pipe clamps to slightly compress mine when installing it. Unless a thief brings his own pipe clamps it will not come out of the receiver. No need for a lock that way.

Good to know.  Thanks!

I'm a family of 7 also, and the NV has been the best vehicle we've ever bought! The only thing I wish it had was the 5.0 Cummins diesel.... but I only desire that the 4 or 5 times a year we do some serious towing. It has made going places with the family so much easier compared to our Yukon XL.

Thanks so much for the input.  I'm so glad to hear from others whose situation is similar to ours and who are happy with their purchases.  We are very much leaning toward the NVP right now.  I would not have thought that a month ago, but here we are.  I think it makes a lot of sense over the Transit for our family.