Bamps

Back up sensors/rear view cam?

I checked the search and couldn't find this question.

Has anyone installed backup sensors and camera, either Nissan or aftermarket on your van? If so, problems? Lessons learned? Etc.? I think this should be the first mod for me.

There are quite a few backup camera installs for aftermarket on here.  A dealer offers them as well (think they are in NC) as a kit and fully installed.  The camera goes way up in and replaces the third brake light with a camera and LED light for brakes.  I cant remember where the monitor is or if it was a rear view camera monitor.  Hopefully somebody chimes in here that has had it done.  Most seem to like it quite a bit.  I think you can even wire it so it is on all the time so it is like a rear view mirror when driving.

If you want the factory backup camera I think you need the NAV head unit.  I dont know if Nissan has a factory rear view mirror camera.  

I have the factory tech package with it and TBH it is just OK.  The resolution is horrible, not sure if it is the screen, camera or both.  My Toyota backup cams were much nicer even on a smaller screen and my in-laws Chevy cam on his truck is better than those.  The Nissan works well enough but for just inching in to hook up my hitch I prefer the others.

I have a rear view systems camera that replaces the brake light, and the monitor is a replacement rear view mirror. It works great, and would be unbearable to drive without it. It has been a great upgrade and has helped my wife avoid an accident already from a dangerous driver.

Thanks guys, I found it, RVS-912619P on rearviewsafety.com .

Your input was awesome!!

Edited by Bamps

I have a rear view systems camera that replaces the brake light, and the monitor is a replacement rear view mirror. It works great, and would be unbearable to drive without it. It has been a great upgrade and has helped my wife avoid an accident already from a dangerous driver.

Do you miss not having the review mirror?  While I can't see out the back of the van, I still use it to see the kids in the back (between head rests).

Not really, it's reflective when I turn it off, so it can still be used as a rear view mirror if need be. Our windshields are huge, so I could even attach a small mirror under the monitor if I wanted to.

Got it on there.post-1590-0-95139900-1471738341_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Bamps

It makes backing up a breeze huh?

Looks good Bamps.  Could you take a picture of what you see with the camera.  I'd like to compare the field of view and quality to stock.  Thanks

I use the factory/dealer nav with back up camera and this one for backing up, but I also use this one as my " rear view mirror ", you can leave it on and see behind you.

Looks good Bamps.  Could you take a picture of what you see with the camera.  I'd like to compare the field of view and quality to stock.  Thanks

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post. Here's the pic

post-1590-0-69050100-1475107514_thumb.jpg

I have the OEM unit, and the picture is terrible. It appears to be out of focus, all the time. Only slightly better than the Nav headunit itself. 

I have the OEM unit, and the picture is terrible. It appears to be out of focus, all the time. Only slightly better than the Nav headunit itself. 

Agree with this 10000%.  I HATE the backup camera on the 2015 NV Tech package to no end.  It is utterly worthless other than getting a fuzzy view of what is behind you.  My 2010 Tundra was crystal clear even with a smaller screen and older tech.  Having been in several newer vehicles all with backup cams every company out there is better than the Nissan model.  

We went camping this past weekend and hooking up was way harder than it should have been with a proper backup cam.  It works, just not very well at all.  

This one is clear and pretty good but at night it's not real good. It's better than nothing at night, just not what I call clear. I often also have to stop and wipe the camera off , (I live about 25 miles from pavement), but if you're on pavement most of the time it wouldn't be a problem. The photo I posted should have been done with my camera instead of my phone so if you want I'll shoot the monitor with the camera and post in a couple days.

Edited by Bamps