Pharomommy

Has anyone used an OBD2 for checking MPG?

My brother in law just introduced me to a nifty gadget called an OBD2 that you can connect to your car and give you all the stats while you're driving as well as check for check engine lights and other errors.

Has anyone used anything like that before to check your miles per gallon? I'm just wondering about long-term effects on the electronic system if we were to use it constantly will it mess up the electronics over time? Or not?

Thanks again!

The OBD2 is the connector in every newer car.  This is what the mechanic plugs his computer into to read codes.

OBD2 is not a gadget.

I had a Edge Insight Monitor in my NV for a few thousand miles.

It did not give me MPG so I returned it.

There will be no damage to your NV if you plug a monitor into the OBD2 connector.

I had the same unit in my 2001 Ford F250 for 8 years. No damage.

SKRUGS is 100% correct, you can leave it plugged in 24/7 and it will be just fine.  There are many monitors you can plug in to give you all sorts of information and even check error codes.  The OBD plug is right by your shins under the dash.

My Bully Dog GT is an ECU tuner but is also a monitor.  I have it set to display all sorts of info from my real time MPG to transmission temps.

Thanks guys!

I clarified with him and it's a Panlong brand that he uses. It's $13 on Amazon and then you download an app for the specs.