trdriver71

Has Anyone seen Xtreme 4x4

I was just wonder if anyone has seen the xtreme 4x4 episodes where they convert a NV into a 4x4 and put a 5.0 cummins in it. This was all sanctioned by Nissan america so does this mean a cummins is in the future for the NV and maybe a 4x4 built on the line http://www.powernationtv.com/post/even-more-on-our-nissan-nv-xor-van

Cummins has been rumored for a while but no official word.  Cummins factory has a NV with the 5.0 in it for a shuttle van but it was a test mule so nothing official from Nissan.  

The 2017 did get the new 5.6 and transmission but they limited the HP and TQ of the motor.  They'd probably due the same thing to the Cummins if it came over.  The 5.0 Cummins is kind of an odd motor.  It isnt strong enough to compete with the HD motors of the big Detroit makers but it also isnt fuel efficient enough to compete against the new small diesels out there.  Yes it has mountains more torque than the 5.6 but it also costs more, weighs more and is more costly to maintain.  Unless they change the chassis somehow I would think the actual payload and tow ratings would go Down on the NV with the Cummins just due to the weight of the motor.  The 5.6 gas Titan chassis is different than the Cummins XD.

4x4 has also been rumored.  I think somebody here knows more about that, maybe from talking to Quigley but I know it has been discussed a lot.  

I am one for diesels but that might be the truck driver in me and that 5.0L engine is an engine that has been around for a while they use it in buses etc. with more H.P. but it is the same engine just with different tuning that is why when they were doing the testing for the xd they would show people and press the motor because it was an already released motor for cummins you may find out in the titan forum of some guys getting a lot more power out of them and i think it would up the towing capacity like it did with the titan because the titan with the 5,6 can only tow 9200lb and the cummins can tow 12200lb.

Edited by trdriver71

As I said, the Titan XD sits on a different chassis than the 5.6 gasser.  The Cummins should be able to tow more weight but only if they change the chassis as well.

The old 5.6 weighed in around 500 lbs.  The Cummins weighs in at 900 lbs!  Not sure what the different transmissions weigh from gas to diesel.  Adding 400 pounds over the front end isnt insignificant.  

Also, as far as I knew and from what Cummins was touting for months before release - that 5.0 motor is all new - https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel

They did some work to it, that motor maxes out at 275hp and the Titan is at 310 with many getting more.  TQ is inline with the ISV5.0.

Why would Cummins brag the XD motor was all new from the ground up if it was a rehash of a 2013 bus motor?  Every single press release from Cummins and Nissan states it was an all new motor from Cummins.  It was supposed to be used by RAM as well but they rejected it in favor of the Ecodiesel motor by Fiat (and of course keeping their big Cummins).

Getting HP numbers up is quite simple with most turbo diesels just with boost pressure.  But again - why brag it is all new if they just turned the wick up a little?

it is even the same weight I have read some articles on it before I wish I remembered where they were. But i assure you it is basicly the same engine maybe with a new injection system and a higher boost pressure. 

Thanks, hadn't read that article (obviously). So all that bragging by Nissan and Cummins was a big fat lie! Still think the motor fills a niche that isn't there. Diesels need to be able to pull a house or get great gas mileage. That's why people buy them and put up with DEF fluid, fuel filter changes and gallons of oil among other things. The Cummins 5.0 tows just a little more than the best gas motors and gets just a little better mileage. I was really excited for the Cummins and thought about the Titan XD. Then I saw the specs and reviews. I think the new 5.6 gas motor offers more for the money.

I think got some good numbers out of it anyway because they put a bigger intercooler and turbo on it and different exhaust but it would be a cool van to have.