Sign in to follow this  
BX77

Transmission Shifting

I have about 12K on my 2500, anybody notice the Transmission hanging up in gears when accelerating hard?

How is that abnormal? The shifting should make use of the upper RPM band for maximum power and acceleration. It should continue to shift, and not go to rev limit.

Edited by kitcarlson

It feels like it sticks in the lower gear, then when I ease off it shifts. under normal driving it's fine

Sounds like it is working correctly. If you keep your foot down, the governor will shift it. If the rev limiter hits and it does not shift you have a problem. Are you new to automatics?

No I am not new to Automatics!

All the automatics I have driven have designed in changes in shifting, by throttle action. Most older vehicles have mechanical linkages for control actions. Newer vehicles likely use throttle position sensing, and control electronics.

At freeway speeds, quick throttle action results in down shift of one or more gears, releasing throttle results in up shift. Heavy throttle when accelerating raises shift points. Light throttle lowers shift points. Service manuals typically outline safe speed in gears, and normal shift patterns.

Kit,

I fully understand how new and old Transmissions work. I personally believe there is a issue with mine. Today I felt it slip and bang into gear from a stand still. I was one of the first in NYC to get one of these and meet with Nissan Engineers and Managers to discuss pros and cons with the Van. I also was part of a 2 week test program with Nissan, and when I answered their questions, I pointed out about the shifting and was told you are not the first to say this! I also pointed out there was no Cabin light switch from the drivers seat, and they said "Oh Shit we never knew that"

Anyway I go in for a oil change next week, I will point it out and get it on record.

Thanks again for your input

BX

I have owned my 2012 v8 nv for 1month now it has about 1000 miles on it, and I have noticed about 1 out of 5 times I turn on the van and drive that the transmission will hard shift, until I turn off the engine and come back later and its running normal again. I have recently taken it to a local nissan dealer and they can't get it to happen while their test driving it. When its working it drives just as smoothly as you could ask. Not sure if maybe there is a computer problem or if its in the transmission.

Hey Mike, Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your van?  Mine is doing the same thing.  about 500 miles.  dealership is saying nothing wrong with it.

Sorry to hear some of you guys are having issues with shifting.

Please keep us all updated as to how Nissan handles these issues. It would be nice to know what caused the problem & what the fix is for future reference for everybody..

Dealer could not replicate problem.   He said he flashed the trans computer and dont know if its related but he said my OBD2 fuse was not installed causing a failure to connect. 

Van was better for a week or so,  But manually downshifted descending a hill this morning and it locked me out of manual mode again.....  Also having a charge system error now...