Sign in to follow this  
Darren

Any one doing Running Boards, Steps or Nerf Bars?

My new 2500HD is quite a leap into the cab... and I am 6' 1" tall. I spent a greater part of the day organizing our new van upfitted with the Cable Contractor Package and my knee is shot! In and out, up and down took its toll. A sets of running boards and a rear step would be the Schnizzle! How about it? Has it been done yet?

Darren

Cinema at Home

I have an email into n fab. The maker of some nice tubular nerf bars. Hopefully I will hear back from them. I'll let you know if I do

Says without mudfaps ? Not sure if this can be installed if you have the oem mudflaps ?

http://www.owens-pro...?series=classic

Update - I taked with Owens this morning and the they said the full runners will not work if you have the mudfalps . So I talked witth the engineering Dept to get on this to make it work ! ,, :banvictory:

http://www.owensproducts.com/images/runningboards/classic/OCN70107X_lg.jpg

Edited by Locksmith

Just finished installing a set of black running boards for our white 2500 S high roof. They came from nvvan.com. These look great with all of the other black trim pieces and are rock solid. Our NV is being converted to an RV so appearance was important to us. The wife loves the running boards - not much else needs to be said.

But I will:

The packaging was excellent and delivery was quick. Instructions are first rate and there is an excellent installation video on the website.

I have a few comments on the installation:

1. Drill a 1/8" starter hole to guide the 5/16" bit. The pinch welds are, of course, comprised of two layers of metal. However, those two layers are irregular to each other with the exterior layer being longer and rolled under for appearance. Without the 1/8" starter hole, your 5/16" bit may drift lower as the hole starts. If this happens, the bracket will not be as tightly seated as you would like.

2. Take the time to daub some metal primer paint in the 5/16" holes that you drill for the main brackets. I used a Q-tip for a brush.

3. The video will tell you about the horizontal brackets and which mounting holes to use (starts at 5:35). I have the black boards and followed those instructions. I pulled the running boards all the way out to the tapered ends of the horizontal brackets (tighten lightly at this point) and then lifted them up and all the way out until I got a good bend in the flexible black vinyl flange where it touches the body (see 7:08). You will notice on the video that this places the flange in front of the black plastic plugs. My set-up has the top edge of the flange riding in the body crease that is just forward of the black plugs (which is a good way of knowing that you have things straight). Just decide if you want the boards level or slightly tilted before securing all bolts and nuts.

4. I wish I had taken the time to grind a smooth radius to replace the sharp corners in two places on each main bracket - but it is really no big deal. I will, when the weather improves, coat all of the brackets with zinsser and then apply black undercoating.

5. Installation was as simple as the video shows. I did this by myself in about 3 hours out in the carport driveway. If I had been 20 or 30 years younger or had a lift, it probably would have been a 45 min job. I'll not bother to post pictures, just look at their website. Mine look exactly like that except I do have the factory mud flaps installed - no problem.

Hi TJS6,

I was looking at those for our van too. I've had a fiberglass set previously from a differnt manufacturer that I wasn't impressed with in the flexing department.

Please let us know how yours perform once you receive them. Also curious to know how close the paint match ends up. Post a picture if you can.

Thank-you!

We've been installing a 90" board that is similar to the boards that are factory installed on Suburbans and similar vehicles.  We are welding a mounting bracket system for them to give them the strength they need for years of use.  They are an aluminum base with a black plastic covering.  I'll try to get a couple pictures up on our website so that you can see what they look like installed.

I currently have a few Sprinters in the shop with them on but you'll get a good idea of what they'll look like when put on the Nissan.

The price for a set with the custom brackets is $500 plus shipping.

Bill    www.oaktreevans.com

This is a set i just ordered for our 3500 SL Passenger in Black.  They will match the paint and send out completely ready to go!

http://www.ronusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AAS&Product_Code=3199NS3&Category_Code=ALUMSTEPNV

TJS6, just curious what you paid for the set with custom matched paint?

We do step bars for a particular customer on all of his NVP's.  I am unsure of the brand but they must be very durable.  He owns a ton of hotels and uses them exclusively to shuttle people on a daily basis.  If anyone wants more info pm me and I'll dig into it a little more.

We do step bars for a particular customer on all of his NVP's.  I am unsure of the brand but they must be very durable.  He owns a ton of hotels and uses them exclusively to shuttle people on a daily basis.  If anyone wants more info pm me and I'll dig into it a little more.

Hey Chris,

If you can find any info, please let me know. Specifically, I need a step for the cargo side door area. Long or short doesn’t really matter. Also, I wonder if anyone has installed a retractable, motorhome-style step that stores up and away below the vehicle?

I have custom nerd bars on my black nv check out my photo gallery. My kids climb up into the vehicle with no problem. My 4x4 also has a 3" lift and 20" wheels.