radin2son

Nissan NV Sportsmobile

Last September, we bought a 2012 NV 2500 (low top) that had been converted to a camper van by Sportsmobile (SMB) in Fresno, CA. Low and high top SMBs are being sold by 8 Nissan dealers, mostly on the west coast. Only one other Nissan SMB sold to our knowledge. We have the V8 with tow, navigation, supplemental air bags and rear window packages. This is a great chassis on the interstate and secondary roads. We used to have an '83 VW camper, and the interior is set up the same way. 3 trips so far, and have a trip to Canada and Alaska planned.

Reason for joining this forum is to see how this van is doing in numbers sold and any issues/recalls. So far, the only recall on our NV is the rear door latch. Will get this taken care of at next oil change. Tucson is a Nissan town, and there are more and more work NVs on the road. Very few low roof models. Saw a Fed EX high roof NV along route 1 in Northern CA. The NV sales manager at Dublin Nissan, CA, wished an extended version was offered, as he could sell many more NVs. A friend also told me NVs are popular in Alberta and British Columbia as work vans.

Edited by radin2son

Wow... We live in Fresno. Can you post some pics so we can see your NV?

We've been on the road in the western states, Canada and Alaska since May 5th with sporadic wifi or none at all. I tried to post photos before we left... You can go to sportsmobile.com to the forum and see photos there. Except for 2 occasions of the check engine light coming on, the van has been great. The first time was after getting caught in snow/iced roads and the second involved driving on dusty gravel roads with a brief downpour. Both in the Yukon. Unable to get to the arctic circle via the Dempster Hwy due to the road being washed out. Driven 9,000 miles and getting over 17 mpg. Computer says 17.5 mpg but I have to add up total gallons used to get the real mpg. Should be close.

I have one of the first Nissan NV Sportsmobile conversions. I've had a chance to look at some of the more 'recent' converted Nissan NV Sportsmobile models at two different dealerships. I can tell they made some "improvements." It seems there are hardly any one of us out there on the road. I wonder if there will be any more NV conversions. I've seen a handful of grey, black, and burgundy colored models on the internet. I guess those are the only colors Sportsmobile is going with...

Do you have the high top SMB? This was the first version they built to shop around to NV dealers. It was for sale as a demo at SMB west, but it disappeared from the web site. SMB in Texas also has/had a high top.

It is hard to tell how many conversions were built; not many, maybe 12? 2 floor plans were offered and I always assumef most were built around the same time with few changes. When did you purchase yours?

We have never seen another NV SMB on the road. Did see the Road Trek conversion.

Sorry, I don't like to reveal too much b/c I usually keep to myself. I saw your post and registered to this forum just to let you know there are other SMB NVs out there. SMB has an online forum, but the chatter is too much for me.

We got the pop-up version that had been sitting on a dealer lot for a long time. It was the only one I found on the internet/at dealerships that had a V-6. Some of the "L" brackets that bind the panels were placed in different locations instead of where they're found in more recent models. The fiberglass roof surface was gel-coated instead of the more robust textured substance. There are obvious differences in where some of the surface materials were placed between our NV conversion and the more recent models. I drove it down to SMB Fresno for some "updates," met the staff, and was told it was one of the first NV conversions.

Interestingly, the insulation SMB Fresno installed in their conversions are non-fiberglass material, yet the cushions/stuffing are made-up of generic polyurethane. I guess they're signaling that they want to be more "green," yet I imagine due to cost prohibitions they went with polyurethane.

I tried to convince the SMB forum admin to let me create a separate topic for NVs similar to the one they have for Sprinters. They refused. I did set up 2 threads under "General Sportsmobile" and "Meet up/Trip report" for NVs if you have any interest. I agree there is a lot of chatter on this site from the same group all about their Fords. Some is interesting...

Hello radin2son. I have read your posts on the sportsmobile forum. I am picking up a high roof nv sportsmobile in the rb-50. It is a white one from Costa Mesa, CA. i am flying out to pick it up on monday 8/12/13. i am considering going to Fresno to get the flat plate put in. I was wondering what you thought of the flat plate water heater? Did you have to drain it every night in the cold on your AK trip or do you have the hydronics pump? It seems one would have to start the engine and run it for a while to get hot water. I was thinking of adding the ectotherm L5 on demand unit instead. It would save me about $1000.00, but if the flat plate really works great it would perhaps be worth it. I wondered what your thoughts were in real use. I also wondered about the heat for your van. Did you have an airtronic furnace installed or did you use a catalytic heater like the big buddy? My current van has a webasto gasoline furnace and I love it, but it too is a lot of money and I was wondering if the big buddy would do the job for about $1500.00 less. :). I live in Salt Lake so I need the heat. I attended grad school at the U of A though. I love the old pueblo. Thanks again for your great AK write up. I hope to use some of your wisdom soon. The information pushed me to buy the van. Thanks again.

Hi madsadsalad,

Congratulations on your van purchase.

Although it was "cold" here in Tucson last winter, we didn't winterize it at all. Actually, I spaced this out. It sits in a carport when not traveling. Last November, when winter came early in Arches and Canyonlands, everything froze one night, except for the water tank and some water bottles we had in a canvas bag. We used the water in the bottles to make coffee and waited for things to thaw. We had cold nights on our Alaska trip, but didn't feel we needed a heater. We earlier opted not to buy a portable heater, as we were not sure where to safely set it up. (In the high top, there may be more room or options.) So, waking up on cold mornings is the same as tent camping. Where is the sun? Unlike tent camping, you have some place to sit while making coffee.

Regarding the flat plate; the idea is great but we haven't reaped its benefits. We have tried filling a large thermos with hot water when we get to a camp site for dish washing later on. It starts hot then gets progressively cooler. We have tried this with the engine running; same result. Waste of limited water. (Someone on the SMB forum suggested a recirculating pump. Others say to go with on demand hot water, your other option. There are others who praise the flat plate.) It may be we haven't used it and the external shower very much... SMB can help you with this.

While on the subject of water: if you have the 10 gallon water tank, have SMB install the 16 or is it 17 gallon tank. Reduces storage a little bit. (The demo high top they had for sale listed a 20 gallon water tank, but Jonothan said it didn't. 10 gallons is their standard tank.)

Thanks for the comments regarding the SMB posts. I think you bought a great van. We certainly like ours. Get used to people asking you about it all the time.

Enjoy your trip home. Even if SMB doesn't add a flat plate or larger water tank, it is worth the detour to see their facility and people.

I know this topic is of limited interest, but I always wondered how many NV 2500s were converted to camper vans by Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA. 30 were built and sold through Nissan dealers. All were sold. Ironically, it wasn't until our last trip through UT, WY, MT, SD, ND and ID that we saw one (low top) in Grand Teton National Park and another (high top) south of Salt Lake City. Where are all the others?

The owner of SMB was unaware that Chevy vans will be NV 1500, 2500 and 3500s as of the 2017 model. More conversion opportunities for SMB and the possibility of the Chevy diesel being available in Nissan doesn't offer one.

I know this topic is of limited interest, but I always wondered how many NV 2500s were converted to camper vans by Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA. 30 were built and sold through Nissan dealers. All were sold. Ironically, it wasn't until our last trip through UT, WY, MT, SD, ND and ID that we saw one (low top) in Grand Teton National Park and another (high top) south of Salt Lake City. Where are all the others?

The owner of SMB was unaware that Chevy vans will be NV 1500, 2500 and 3500s as of the 2017 model. More conversion opportunities for SMB and the possibility of the Chevy diesel being available in Nissan doesn't offer one.

"that Chevy vans will be NV 1500, 2500 and 3500s as of the 2017 model"   <--- where'd you hear that? I was worried about that once the NV200 was launched but was told that our Canton plant wouldn't be able to meet the volume demands that GM would bring.

Truck Trend reported this on 4/1. Unless it was April Fools' ... It seemed logical. Why create another Sprinter type van?

As a dealer, it might be unwanted competition, but as a consumer, it offers more options and perhaps better service if all Chevy dealers/service departments will work on them.

Ah yes, that was april fools, about 10 comments down truck trend said "Believable, which is why we went with it, but as far as we know...April Fools. :-)"

That article got me too.

I talked with a fleet guy at a GM dealership last auto show, the thinking is that GM is going to hang back for a bit and watch and see what happens to Ford with the re-design before deciding to either re-design theirs as body on frame or bring over a unibody Euro van.

Several years ago NPR aired a 4/1 story about "portable zip codes." When you move, you take your phone number and zip code with you. While thinking, how is that going to work, they finished with a gotcha. Gotta be wary...

Forgot to add that with more NVs, particularly the high tops, the "ugly" look is gone. I think this also is due to the great graphics on work vans.

We met a guy in Idaho, whose brother in law bought a used high top (couldn't get the deal he wanted) from a Chinese restaurant. Wonder if it had any graphics. No one would suspect stealth camping.

Edited by radin2son

When you buy a NV SMB you get this video for free plus $65K for the conversion or is it the other way around.

vimeo.com/43545000

Of the 30 built and sold, I have only seen one. Only 2 other owners have been on this forum.

One thing I would add to the video is to consider getting an electric "penthouse" top. The top and non-electric installation is very expensive and to retro fit electric is just as expensive as the original cost.

If you are into onboard bathrooms and blackwater, you will have to look at the Sprinter video. Wear gloves...

Edited by radin2son