Goldenzrule

How to change brake pads

I am changing the rotors and pads for the first time on my NV (or any vehicle for that matter). It doesn't appears as though you can simply slide the pads out. I took the caliper off since I had to anyway. Do you HAVE to take the caliper off to put the pads in? Anything I've seen has a door to open to slide the pads out and back in

usually brake caliper have two part and 4 bolt. just open up the cover and slide brake pads in.but nv is one piece design and 2 bolt only,so you must take whole caliper off to put pads in, anyway you replace rotors so what matter what design you still have to take it off.

when you replace brake pads,don't forget to service the pin. when you replace rotors, you better clean up the hub and apply some anti-seize on it.

Any recommendations for brake pads? I was checking out Rock Auto and there were a lot of options! Also, is there an easy way to tell if the brake pads and/or rotors need to be replaced already or is there really no way around taking the wheels off to check?

Edited by irv

Power stop Z36 is my favorite,much better and durable than oem.

the hole on the rim is enough to rough estimate ,even you go under the vehicle still hard to check it if you don't have experience, if you feel your brake pedal high and firm ,you don't have to worry your brake pads, if rotor is bad you will feel rough or Vibration even you will hear that.