danwcope

Smittybilt 5x12' rack install

Wanted to go with Aluminess for reduced weight but didn't want to spend $3k.

Got the 5x12' defender on Amazon for under $1k.

Got the AM version even though I didn't use all the mounting hardware that comes with it (as it is designed to drill into van roof).

Used 1.5x1.5x3/16" angle length to mount to existing fixed mount points (could have gone with 1/8"). 

Pros: super sturdy, cheap, not too tall at 4" plus mounting hardware (still plan to get NV into my garage with 8' ceilings)

Cons: bolt together design doesn't allow for perfectly straight installation (at least with bit of time I tried to get it aligned), damn noisy even at 50mph (will look at fairing options soon), heavy 

post-3100-0-11049500-1557950618_thumb.jpeg

post-3100-0-53366500-1557950687_thumb.jpeg

Edited by danwcope

That looks nice!  

They are noisy, I had to wrap my front bar with rope (I have the Topper Galvanized 12' rack) and that killed 99% of the noise.  Not sure how that would work with double bars, I have a single bar up front.  

Those mounting points are a big pain to get  wrench in.  I took a cheap Harbor Freight wrench and ground it thinner to use.  What did you use?  

I just applied a little bit of pressure with a screwdriver (pried in there) while using impact driver.

Thx for the rope suggestion!

That looks great! I had similar thoughts regarding the Aluminess rack. I was looking at the Smittybilt but decided against it when I realized just how much of the roof capacity would be taken up by the rack. I was about to build my own using t slot aluminum for Fathers Day but I just dropped $2400 on my wife

That looks great! I had similar thoughts regarding the Aluminess rack. I was looking at the Smittybilt but decided against it when I realized just how much of the roof capacity would be taken up by the rack. I was about to build my own using t slot aluminum for Fathers Day but I just dropped $2400 on my wife

Edited by danwcope

I think that the 500 lb load limit from Nissan is the dynamic limit and not the static limit. The dynamic limit is related to the shift in center of mass of the vehicle and the likelihood of tipping over under evasive maneuvers at highway speeds. I have no doubt that the static limit is significantly higher. I know I have seen several racks out there that claim to have capacities of 750 lbs.

Edited by GrooveChampion

I decided to follow your lead and go with the Smittybilt rack. While the t slot aluminum would have been a fun project, it would be more expensive after the fasteners are included. Have you looked at ladders? I have tried the no drill ladder that goes on the door from Advanced. It feels super solid. Unfortunately it is also about $450. Prime Design has a no drill ladder as well but it isn

Edited by GrooveChampion

Haven

Haven

Check out Prime Design ladders. They dont require drilling and they just grab the back door from the top/bottom. I saw one while parked somewhere and it looked like it was really good quality.

Thx...will check them too. No drill option would be awesome.

And one add

On 6/16/2019 at 10:58 PM, danwcope said:

Thx...will check them too. No drill option would be awesome.

And one add

DanWCope -

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought this rack and plan to do exactly what you did here. How long did you cut the angle pieces? (wanting to get this done before the rack comes in).

Thanks in advance!