NVAD

Sealed transmission?

Just wondering what other NV owners are doing about changing or not changing their sealed transmission fluid.

This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I've owned that doesn't have a dipstick for the transmission fluid in the engine compartment.  I spent a while looking for it before I figured out that it just isn't there.  It's especially confusing because the 2016 owner's manual mentions a dipstick for checking the fluid level, and says that you may have to change the fluid more often if you tow.  The owner's manual also offers this helpful advice about the automatic transmission fluid: "When checking or replacement is required, we recommend a NISSAN dealer for servicing."

According to Nissan's 2016 Service and Maintenance Guide, "Automatic transmission fluid for 370Z and NV 1500/2500/3500 is maintenance-free."  And every part of the maintenance schedule that talks about the transmission fluid has a footnote that says, "Automatic transmission fluid except for 370Z and NV 1500/2500/3500."  I suppose they mean that If you drive it long enough to need a new transmission, the replacement will come with new fluid.

The transmission changed in 2017, so I went looking for info on the new design.  I couldn't find a service and maintenance guide for 2017 or newer.  I checked the maintenance schedule in a 2018 owner's manual and it says, "Transmission fluid/oil, differential oil: Visually inspect for signs of leakage at specified intervals."  And the schedule has a footnote for the automatic transmission fluid that says, "Periodic maintenance is not required."

FYI: If you want to find the service and maintenance guide for 2013 - 2016 vans, go to https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide.  The NV isn't listed there, so pick any other model that was produced in the desired year.  The same guide is used for all models for a given year.  Sorry, I don't know where to find the 2012 version, if it even exists.

Edited by Mark Rogers

I had to replace the transmission pan on my 2013 2500 recently. The dipstick is in the engine compartment but kinda hard to reach. There is a bolt holding the top of it down. I'll try to attach a picture later 

The 2012 service manual under

Edited by radin2son

Thanks for the feedback. I had my tranny fluid changed at two different dealerships at 70,000 and 110,000. Not the recommended intervals of 30, 60 and 90 that radin2son said, but I got it done. One dealership said

Edited by NVAD

I normally change every 30,000 on my vehicles. I waited until 60,000 on my 2013 because it was supposed to be good for 100,000. 

The transmission shop said the fluid was slightly burnt and recommended every 30,000.

My NV2500 has the V6 , I live in the west and pull a lot of hills, but don't tow anything.

My NV was "routine" serviced at 60k by Nissan while with another owner, and they changed the ATF.  Unfortunately I found this out after I changed it myself at 76k.  :doh:I used 16 qts S-Matic from Nissan @ $11/qt.  Ouch!  But the drain, fill, pump, repeat method is pretty easy compared to the Tundra.  I'm at 135k after a long tow west, and I could probably stand to do this again soon.

I just bought a 2017 NV3500 passenger with 63k miles. I was a little disappointed to learn that this 7-speed tranny has no dipstick and apparently no filter either. I plan on doing a drain and fill at minimum. The capped off port that I plan on filling through seems like it was made to have a dipstick mounted in there because it has a 10mm bolt right next to the port that would normally hold a little hold-down clamp around a flanged dipstick tube. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:09 AM, Zbeld said:

The capped off port that I plan on filling through seems like it was made to have a dipstick mounted in there because it has a 10mm bolt right next to the port that would normally hold a little hold-down clamp around a flanged dipstick tube. 

Where is this located? I can't find it on my 2017 NV3500. 

That post is over a year old, so you may have to pm Zbeld. 

I might think about it after 10 years or so.