nv_explorers

Hello from new nv 3500 4x4 owners in Arizona

Hello everyone, We are so excited to have our nv 3500 passenger van.  We took our children camping "tenting" every chance we had...now grown...they have introduced us to overlanding -  so many places for us to see!  We are looking forward to figuring out what we want to do with the inside of  our van. Right now all the seats have been removed and we are in line for the pop top. Once that's done and we have traveled a bit , we will base our build or not around it. 

Welcome. Be prepared for questions regarding your 4x4 conversion. Advanced? Quigley? Tim Dahle Titan parts conversion?

You are the second NVP owner to consider or go with a poptop. The former gave up on the idea and I believe sold it not long after he bought it. When you say you are in line for one, do you mean you are waiting for or have an install date? Who will be doing it? We have had our Sportsmobile poptop for 7 years and it has held up well.

If you are considering an electric assist, do it now. Sportsmobile I believe can install an insulated canvas if they are willing to work on a NV. (They converted 30 in 2012 plus a few one-offs.) Otherwise, you will be as cold or hot as camping in a tent. We have neither. Too costly to go back and update.

See what I mean about questions...

Edited by radin2son

okay, Kinda new to the whole forum thing.  Thank you for your response and input.  It's a Tim Dahle Titan conversion. We have an install date on the top - just about 3 months from now. It will be done by Colorado Camper Van. It will be a electric top and will be 4 season. We are getting a solar package at the same time. We have been overlanding in our xterra using a bucket system (camp kitchen and such) and most likely will be using that system for a while.

Colorado Camper is a good choice. We like the rear window in their poptop, making 6 total. Our SMB has 5.

???s Why did you go with a NVP over a cargo van. A professional photographer couple did the same thing for the fit and finish. They didn

Edited by radin2son

Yes, we did quite a bit of research before deciding on colorado camper - the rear window was most definitely a selling point. Do you have a maxx air fan on yours? We will have one on ours , hoping it will help regulate the temp.  Two reasons on the nvp..we were in the right place at the right time and got a great deal,  and rear air was important to us...we travel with an 90lb dog and need him to be comfortable as well.  This van has rear air and Colorado Camper is able to reroute it so it will still work. Got it...I'm still trying to get the whole idea of social media...once I get it going i will post a link

We bought our 2012 NV SMB because it was the same floor plan as our long departed

Welcome to the site!  Hope you have many carefree miles in your new NV.  Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Sportsmobile has an interesting video featuring their Classic (F350 cutaway) and Sprinter 4x4 traveling through the Mohave. A criticisms by the guest overlander in the Classic was lack of range. Need to have 600 miles and if roving the world diesel is best.

I think we have pushed it to 380+. (Fill up range typically is 420+.) Fuel warning light comes on with about 3 gallons left if I recall this correctly. So we could/might have made it to 420 but where is the gas station.

Since you are overlanding, do you have or are you going to add an auxiliary gas tank? There was one business who manufactured twin tanks for NVs but appears to have gone out of business. Colorado camper may know of others.