NissanNV85

'12 NV 3500 ABS

Hello all. I drive one of these vans for work and I'm concerned the abs isn't working properly. Mainly because the time it takes to come to a complete stop on slick surfaces seems way too long and feels as if the pump isn't cycling fast enough,if at all at times, to pulse the brakes or however that system works. Had commercial tire run a diagnostic test with a snap on scantool but yielded no results. No stored faults etc. Just seems off and I feel I may wreck in certain situations due to the abs. I'm certain, in some cases, I could have the van stopped far sooner under my own power without the abs' help. Is there something with this system I need to have fixed? Bleed brakes maybe? Van has around 114000 miles. Thanks

You can call a Nissan dealer and ask if theres a software update available on your VIN. I believe there were some models getting this but dont quote me on it. When i worked for R&D there was an update after 12'. 

I'd say go find a parking lot or empty road and cruise maybe around 30-40mph, slam the brakes and try see how the ABS reacts. If you're not confident in this obviously dont do it.  

In 2016 I bought a Salvaged 2013 NV2500HD High Roof.  A week or two into ownership, while carrying a heavy load of steal and approaching a red light in town, my brakes suddenly fully went out.  I had what felt like about 5% of power to the brakes.  Luckily I didn't hit anyone as I rolled through the red light while I hit the emergency brake which slowly brought me to a stop.  If that happened on the free way, someone would have died. I had essentially no brakes.  Anyway... Brought it to Nissan dealer and it was about $1700 repair for... what was it... master silinoid?...it was the "brain" to the ABS system. I'm sorry my termonology isn't correct because that's not my forte but it was a major component of the ABS system.  That was in 2016... I still own the van and have driven it all over half the country including 11k elevation steep declines etc.  No problems since then... but I'm sharing because it sounds maybe related to what you're talking about.