Sign in to follow this  
Dean

Catalytic converters

Okay so I have a question that hopefully can be answered on here, my 2015 Nissan NV 2500 HD has a California emissions sticker under the hood. But I live in a federal emissions state of North Carolina the cost to replace my catalytic converters would be drastically cheaper if I bought them and installed myself the problem is I have heard that since my vehicle for some reason even though generated in Canton Missouri having a California emissions computer installed would reject any catalytic converter that did not meet California emission regulations which is very disappointing being that I have nothing to do with California and never will. So the question I would like to ask is has anyone ever installed aftermarket catalytic converters that will pass Federal emission standards on Nissan vehicles which I have been told were all set up for the 50 state converters I hope that this can be done any input from anyone even from Nissan themselves would be greatly appreciated

It’s a bad time to buy a converter, period?. I just read a news story recently that said the metal used in them was in short supply on a global scale.  Do you know the current price difference between your “cheaper” converter and the “Cali” one?  It unfortunately may not be quite as big a difference as you’d hope ???‍♂️

Are you certain that the catalytic converter isn't covered under warranty?

My mind meanders, trying to recollect when our '98 Honda Civic had a converter heatshield failure which was covered. If I recall correctly, it was about 7 years old at the time. Something something.... EPA mandated?

The manual is not clear on this and 2 have posted that Nissan says no. We have to assume Dean has checked this out and knows what part(s) he needs. Most aftermarket parts say legal in 48 states and cannot be shipped to CA. 

In AZ, emissions testers use a mirror to find the cc. That’s it, they just have find it. If I have to replace this, I will go with the CA (dealer) legal cc primarily to avoid issues when we sell our camper van. 

Thanks for the link. The manual alludes to federal requirements based on not passing emissions testing etc.

Looks like everything is covered “repaired at an authorized dealer service facility.” The dealer said no when the sensor canister failed on our NV past the 36k warranty, yet it is on the list. Nissan did pay for this after the fact. Looks like the first repair is covered, not the second after the initial 2 year, 20k from the first sale.

Design and defects appear to be covered for 8 years or 80k. How do you prove that when most NVs have not had an issue. 

It it is a moot point for us as we are past 80k.