Sign in to follow this  
michaellong

Federal Emissions Warranty

My 2014 NV2500 high rise has a p0420 catalyst low efficiency code with 76,000 miles. I called the Nissan dealer and was told that the vehicle is out of warranty. Does the 80,000 mile federal emissions warranty cover the NV2500?

Did the dealer say how much it would cost to fix or replace? Most likely the dealer will opt to replace. If it can be fixed, go to an independent emissions shop.

In 2015, we had emissions work done at 42k (36k warranty).  The Nissan emissions warranty did not apply and the federal warranty never came up. We were traveling and Scott Clark Nissan in NC gave me the option of fixing or replacing. Cost $225 to repair. Nissan later reimbursed the cost to repair. It had been an on going, documented issue.  

If this has been a documented problem, contact Nissan Commercial. I assume 2014 NVs had the 100k warranty. 

The fed 80k warranty covers to your vehicle, but I don't think it matters unless you fail a required emissions test.

That is true. Until Michael long responds, we don’t know much about his NV or if emissions testing is required. 

The dealer did not say what the cost of repairs is. Emissions testing is not required until the vehicle is 8 years old. The 100k warranty is only good for 5 years, but the van is 6 years old. My 2014 warranty booklet does not state an 8 year 80k mile warranty but online 2019 warranty booklets do show it. Maybe the 8 year 80k warranty only applies to newer NVs?

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/Nissan_Commercial_Vehicles/ncv_owners/manuals-guides/pdfs/2019/2019-nissan-warranty-booklet.pdf

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/Nissan_Commercial_Vehicles/ncv_owners/manuals-guides/pdfs/2014/nissan-commercial-vehicles-2014-nv-passenger-and-cargo-warranty-information.pdf

I suspect the fed warranty, unlike Nissan's, is retroactive.

The 80k applies to all NVs, as it is in the 2012 manual and looks like the same info is in the 2014 manual (pages 9-10).

Have you tried clearing the codes? Most likely the check engine light will come back on next time you turn the ignition. 

I would find out what the cost is in terms money and what might happen if you do nothing. 

Edited by radin2son

On page 1 of the 2019 manual, it states that 2019 vehicles have a Federal Emissions Long Term Defect Warranty of 8 years/80,000 miles. However, page 1 of the 2014 manual does not show this warranty. I have not tried erasing this code. I would like to have this fixed under warranty if possible as if I erase the code now and it comes back 5,000 miles later, I will be over 80,000 miles and will have to pay for the repair out of pocket. I feel that a catalytic converter should not fail this early in its life.

Nothing should happen if i don't repair this vehicle now other than polluting the environment more. However, when this vehicle is 8 years old, it will be time to smog it, and the catalytic converter will have to be replaced.

Edited by michaellong

can you voluntarily smog it early?

I thought about that as well but the fed warranty “implies” you have to  be unable to license or use your vehicle. 

I don’t think there is a warranty option based on 2 similar posts. 

An independent emissions shop should be able to address this. Nissan won’t. 

As an aside,  Sprinters have been having major emissions problems. A couple of months ago, I passed an independent shop; parked in front was a “Prime” Sprinter. 

Mine threw a check engine code a few weeks ago.  I forget the details, but it was emissions equipment related, something under the hood that was around $150.  I erased the code and it never came back, so I’m not terribly worried about it at this point. 

2014 NV3500 pass. @ 86,000 miles 

Since the 2014 NV has the same engine as the older Titan, go to their forum to see if they have had a similar problem. That is a much more active forum. 

When I had the canister sensor “glued” back in place, I was told by the service manager that this was a frequent Titan problem. The fix worked 95% of the time. (Chris the commercial manager who used to post here introduced us but left us to decide what to do.)

Someone  here(?) said that manufacturers expect vehicles and their parts to last the warranty period. Some don’t but most do. NVs are virtually trouble free.