Sign in to follow this  
mx_599

New purchase recs?

Hey everyone. Just thought I would introduce myself and see if any advice before going to Nissan dealer tomorrow?

I am in Colorado. I hope to use the vehicle for motocross racing vehicle and #vanlife. ?

I want the high roof and V8. I am having trouble deciding on NV2500 with V8 vs NV3500 V8's. Unless there are typo's, it appears the cargo capacity is close to the same EXCEPT  for the highest trim NV3500 which appears to hold a lot more weight. Does anyone know what parts give this a higher rating over the other two NV3500 trims and NV2500 trim? Is it just extra leaf in spring and larger tires? What would need to be replaced on lower rated capacity trims to bring them up to full carrying capacity?

Do you guys think there would be any insurance premium consequence of getting the V8 NV2500 vs the 3500? I have put out a request to insurance agent to give quote on each. It would seem to me you would not have to change many parts on V8 2500 to bring it to the highest capacity rating, no?

I guess I am just going to get white. It seems to be what is on the lots. Any opinion on chrome accents vs the standard parts?

Any advice on price? It looks like the NV2500 V8 is right about $35,000 and some of the NV3500 $1K to $3K more. I am not a good negotiator nor can I buy cash. Do you guys think much wheeling and dealing could be done on these? I think there are some 2019 models left too. I would think they want to move them off the lot. I am hesitant to get 2019 because who knows how long they were on the lot and exposed to problems.

Anyway, appreciate any advice or words of wisdom

Welcome.

The one negative is the scarcity of NV commercial dealerships. Google dealership web sites in cities and states near you. Tim Dahle in SLC probably has the largest inventory. You can try to use the “best” internet price as a bargaining tool but dealers are on to this and it can be hard to compare vehicles due to dealer add ons and available trim levels.  

You may not need a 3500 for your planed use, but if you want it just buy one. No sense in trying to do it on your own. 

Have you considered used? Carmax and Carfax have lots of white NVs for sale. Also Conversion Trader has several used diy NVs for sale.  

We had a good service experience at the dealership in Colorado Springs. The good news is that you can take your NV for service at any commercial dealership. The bad news is that it has to be a commercial dealership...

If there was ever a time some wheeling and dealing could be done, it's right now.  The 3500 in the highest trim level is still bare bones.  You get a power drivers seat and a rudimentary alarm.  The rest of it is about what you'd have had 20 years ago in a basic work truck.  Probably because it's a basic work truck and needs haven't really changed.  Whatever you do, don't spend extra on the radio upgrade.  I got it for the XM feature and it's horrible at that, dropping signal constantly.  The nav system is useless relative to something with real time traffic unless it's 2 am or there's a pandemic on.  As for capacity,  if you need more capacity than the 2500, I'd get the 3500 and be done with it.  Why expend cash and energy when you can have it out of the box?  Chrome trim is a non-factor.  These vans (any vans really) are not prom queens.  They'd be lucky to get picked up at closing time.  "Lipstick on a pig" was probably coined for chrome trim on a van.  Did I mention chrome trim is not on my list of must haves?

I agree with aztec. When we bought our 2012 NV SV it came with chrome. Somewhere along the line, it changed. If you need the bin, go with the sv. Otherwise stick with the s unless you can get an sv  or sl for the same price. 

If you’re not going to be close to maximum weight capacity, I’m sure the 2500 will be fine.  If you think you will be close to capacity, I’d say just get the 3500 if you can afford the payments.  The peace of mind knowing you have all the right parts right off the bat will be nice, and going to sell it someday should get you some of the price premium back.  

As far as trim, that’s totally based on what you want.  I like a little bling, so we went SL.  But the blacker models also look tough and fine.  

I also didn’t bother with Nav. And also never subscribed or used XM unless I had a free trial to burn.  

I’d think insurance would be pretty similar between either.  

I wanted silver so it looked less commercial.  But white is actually the best choice for the cargo vans as it generally brings more if you sell it.  Commercial buyers almost always want white.  

You’ll love he NV for taking you to and from the races.  How far do you travel?

-Andy