silvermesa1

Which engine/transmission has been most reliable and capable of towing well?

Looking to buy my first used van, a Nissan NV3500 for personal use and towing a trailer that is 7000lbs including cargo. Live in the mid west but hope to travel the western mountain US. Personal use lightly loaded 95% of the time. Towing 5% of the time. Will be used as a daily driver and for occasional van life/mountain bike van and occasionally towing a 2 horse trailer with horses and gear.

My understanding is there were updates to the engine and transmission in 2017. Which model engine and transmission has proven most reliable and capable of towing well? 2012-2016 with 8 cylinder engine and 5 speed transmission or 2017-2020 with 8 cylinder engine and 7speed transmission?

The newer engine isn't as new as you may think.  It and the 7-speed were in the market starting with the 2011 QX56.  So those have nearly 10 years to get them right.  The '11 had a few bugs, but generally good after that.

Having driven both, the new V8 and 7-speed is the one to get.  It's what I am hoping to add to my personal collection.  Like the ones at work too much.

"The Engine Knock Thread" on the Titan talk forum is currently 87 pages long.

Check the build date before buying a VK56VD engine. Cylinder scoring problems requiring short block engine replacement.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174416-0001.pdf 

I have a 2014 V8 and have always been very happy with its performance unloaded, loaded, or towing our trailers.  If I needed a new van today I wouldn’t fear the newer 5.6 or 7 speed one bit.  I truly feel like Internet forums turn most issues into a much, much larger issue than they really are.  

These are extremely reliable vans all the way around.   Find a new one or a used one that was cared for and chances are that you’ll be very happy!

I have towed a good bit with my NV3500.  Usually loaded at 7000 to 9000lbs.  It drives well but the short wheelbase does make for some sketchy driving during high winds.  Definitely not as good as a longer wheelbase truck, but my Nissan can "do it all" pretty well.  

Keep in mind your gas mileage....  I usually get around 7mpg towing heavy loads, and as low as 4mpg on long uphill stretches!!  

On 6/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, cobymoby said:

I have towed a good bit with my NV3500.  Usually loaded at 7000 to 9000lbs.  It drives well but the short wheelbase does make for some sketchy driving during high winds.  Definitely not as good as a longer wheelbase truck, but my Nissan can "do it all" pretty well.  

Keep in mind your gas mileage....  I usually get around 7mpg towing heavy loads, and as low as 4mpg on long uphill stretches!!  

Damn!!

The standard top, not towing, is fine in high wind. You feel the jolt of a sudden crosswind but not much else. 

As a maximum people mover or camper van, it gets decent mpg. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:39 PM, cobymoby said:

Here is where i am coming from and why I am OK with the low gas mileage. I previously had a Transit T150 10 passenger. It had the EcoBoost engine with 310HP, and was pretty much the best possible Ford Transit setup for towing capacity and power. It was terrible for towing my Camper. I was 105% over weight limit on my Transit (5200lbs ) and I could only safely drive 60MPH with it on Interstates. I was getting blown around by everyone passing me at 15MPH or more, and I was only getting 10mpg at 60MPH. If i was on a country highway (less cars passing or lower speed limits), i could increase my speed to 65MPH but that would drop my fuel non-efficiency to 9MPG. To top it off the Fuel tank was smaller on the Transit, so I had to stop often for fuel and had major fuel anxiety when driving.

Compare that to the NV, which I bought to move my family, tons of camping gear, pull my camper, and ask it to keep up with the regular speed limit. With me towing at 70 or 75MPH to keep up with speed limits, I can drive 60-75 miles more per day due to faster speed, and it tows better. I am not mentally exhausted from the white knuckle driving and getting blown around in my lane every 5-10 seconds when being passed. Physics state that if I am driving faster with more wind resistance, It will cost more energy, and I feel like I am on the same MPG curve, if I would have been able to push my transit to drive 70-75 towing the same setup. 60MPH is 10MPG, 65MPH is 9MPG, 70MPH is 8 MPG and 75MPH is 7MPG. I am fully accepting the gas mileage, and am loving the NV.

Haven't towed anything with our 2012 yet but I can vouch for that V8 in the hills.  Would def take the 7 speed option if it's available but I know nothing of Nissan's transmissions.

It gets a little queasy with heavy crosswinds + rutted out interstate roads + higher speeds but that's to be expected with the high gusts we get sometimes when you drive a big box around at 80 mph ish.  Our is kinda mid top in height too with the pop top conversion.