evac05

Mounted ARB 2500x2500 Touring Awning to my low-roof NV3500 with Colorado Camper van pop-top.

So, I converted this cargo version into a camper van a couple of years ago.  Latest upgrade is an ARB awning and deluxe awning room with light kit.  

I did not want to drill into my roof to mount this thing, my sliding door track is in the way.  I called CCV 18 months ago to see if they could sell me some brackets ... they told me their brackets were custom made each time a customer wanted some, and they had no NV vans in the shop, but they would call me when they did.  I never got a call, and sometimes it is best just to do it yourself.

Stuff you need, and plenty of pictures and parts numbers are in the IMGUR album posted.

3 ARB brackets

3 T-brackets (Superstrut), got mine at Home Depot

6 Spring nuts 3/8”, Home Depot.  Come in bags of five

6 square brackets (Superstrut), Home Depot.  Drill out to 3/8”

6 3/8” x 1 1/4 stainless bolts and washers

3 carriage bolts 1/4” (and nuts).  Grind down two flats on either side of the carriage bolt head so it will slide into the ARB awning.  ARB supplies 6 square head bolts and you need nine.  

Blue loctitie

Neoprene foam and helicopter tape to protect your roof.

I welded three brackets together using my Hobart 140 with gas-less flux cored wire.  I am not proud of my welding, it is ... functional.  No snarky comments, please.  53mm overlap.  Pictures in link.

Weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, paint, bolt everything together with blue loctite, take pictures and post on the Internet so others can do it, too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FwUsPL2

Best, Dave

Edited by evac05
Missed a word in title

Great description, job and photos.

We considered doing something similar but opted to forego an awning. Too low when it is hot and shade is needed for the “loft.”  We went with a screen room instead. 

I think CC makes a better pop top the our SMB as far as NVs are concerned.