Sign in to follow this  
DaveMinBako

Most Driveable Van

I currently have a 2013 Ford E350 XLT window van, with seats removed (except front) and used as a casual camper. This van only has 40K miles on it, & is in nice shape. But driving for extended periods of time is more tiring as I get older - just takes more effort. I've heard that the NVs are better to drive, but was hoping to find folks here who have had good experience with both vans, and who would be willing to share opinions.  I think I'm interested in 2019 or 2020 NV2500 V6 high tops. The camping equipment in my present van weighs around 700 lbs. My local driving is in the Sierra and Mojave desert, but am looking at more distance driving, to visit a son who has moved to Texas. 

Know the areas well.

We find NVs to be very comfortable. The passenger seat is oddly lower than the driver’s but can be fixed by adding a swivel if you travel with a passenger. The passenger seat folds forward to create a desk. 

You answered the high top vs standard. Crosswinds haven’t been an issue for our standard top. Same for V6. 

V8 MPGs, not towing, average 15+. Has been 14+ when in the mountains. Interstate driving is 16-17 mpg (no head wind). Driving on steep secondary or dirt roads will drop it to 12 mpg. Better mpg with V6 and no complaints about power. 

Sportsmobile conversion of standard top cargo NV added 1000 lbs bringing it to weight of the passenger van. Add another 1000 lbs of gear, water, food and occupants.

Tow mode (V8) is very useful, even if not towing, going down steep gradients. Like into Death Valley. 

Manual mode also is useful on slow going dirt or gravel roads when you know you can lock out 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. Or whatever isn’t needed. 

Edited by radin2son

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get the Transit.  The ecoboost is terrible.  Gas mileage is worse than the NV V8 in the mountains, and running the turbos hard to climb grades will warp the exhaust manifolds and break the studs, necessitating engine removal to repair.  The seats are also not good for long drives.  Painful.  Also it's a unibody.  A simple tire rotation runs the risk some yahoo will do severe damage getting it in the air, chassis alignment requires factory intervention, and the sliding door either works or it doesn't.  Spent 5 years on the Transit forum and nobody ever got a technician to properly adjust that door.  Then there's the hundreds of TSBs and service bulletins to be constantly aware of.  Other than that, I really enjoyed it.  Like driving a car.  I was sad when it died.

That said, you can take a Transit to any Ford dealer rather than the current setup for NVs. Then again, there are fewer NV trips to the dealership. (DaveMinBako may not be aware NVs have to go to designated commercial dealerships for complaints and warranty issues.) Same for regular service if it is not diy or independent shop. 

Edited by radin2son

Do people really take their vehicles to a dealer for service?  The concept is so alien to me I can't picture it.

When home, we use our independent mechanic. When traveling it is easier to find a commercial dealer for service than a quick whatever not familiar with NVs. Takes some looking to find one out west. 

Another factor is shuttle service to and from work place if you are lucky enough to have a dealer close by.  

Another is habit or life time service plans. 

So, the short answer is yes. 

I always loved the way the NV drives more like a pickup, as opposed to the new euro style vans or the older GM and E-series vans which shove the front seats right up to the motor and push the steer tires back.   The NV just always seemed to track straighter and turn nicer, while allowing lots more room for the front seats.  

I've driven the Ford E350 passenger van and our own NV 3500 cargo.

For me, there's no big difference at all. They are just vans. Big and lunky. Just take it easy. 

Lots of highway time in both.  Find the Nissan way more comfortable.  Better than some new pickups.

Weight + high roof, the V8 could actually net you better mileage over the V6.  The V6 was marginally better for economy over the old V8, the new V8 and transmission has a noticeable improvement.