Sign in to follow this  
S_Grondin

Wants to buy a NV for mobile office

Hi,

I'm here because I am starting my own business and I will buy a NV to modify the interior and make an office on wheels. I think this Forum is a good place to chat with others, see what they have done and how they did it.

My project:

1- Insulation and heat source for winter

2- A Quiet Electricity source (for 8 hours / day) to run computers, tools and various Lab equipment

3- Storage for folders, equipment, tools and lab parts

4- Create an efficient and good looking working environment

I will post pictures of my progress, but for now, if anyone has done something similar, I would gladly like to hear from you !

S_Grondin

Edited by S_Grondin

Welcome S Grondin,

Take a look at this short promo video by Nissan. It seems to have a decent layout for what you plan to do.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=acygBIqdTd8

Might be good for some ideas anyway...

Have fun!

Thanks for the link !

The final result will not look the same, since I'm building a Laboratory with medical equipment, but it definately gives me ideas. I love the "wood" look !

I also got lost in the "related videos" on youtube and found some good ones because of that !

Thanks again !

i assume you got a high top NV?

would love to see pics of your project.. im sure everyone who uses their NV's for work have some good tips.

curious as to what your going to do to insulate the NV.. I have a pressure washer mounted in my NV and would like to keep it warmer in the winter

I do not own a NV, yet. I will only register and start my business in October, so I will buy my NV and modify it between October - December.

I'm just at the drawing table and looking for ideas for now.

So far, I think I'll get the NV2500 High Roof, the features and price seems to be amazing compare to the other options (like Mercedes Sprinter).

I'm still unsure on how I will insulate and provide a good heat source... For heat, I was thinking about propane, but this is juste a first idea, it may not even be legal... For insulation, I was thinking Spray Foam and then build walls over it (meaning the cabine will be smaller)

i was thinking spray foam too, but i can cover it and it will be ugly\

i agree, when i was look at vans, out of the other big 3, (ford, GM, sprinter) the NV drove the best and was signifigantly cheaper

You should probably get a 3500 NV with all that weight, my 3500 NV is constantly loaded down with about 1500lbs of equipment and i notice a little sag.. cant imagine what all of that equipment would make it do.

Edited by KMGLTZ

good  idea. it  must  be  very  well . enjoy  your ride

Just a heads up, the project is finished and it is even better than I originally expected.

I will have pictures and more description in the following weeks.

Looks to me like you've built what you wanted , Good Job . What did you do on the heating front ?

Glenn

The heating is done with a Espar. (www.espar.com)

It uses a small amount of fuel to heat and it has a nice electronic interface to control it. It is very powerful.

For insulation, I used Roxul wool.

if you use the whole roof you can get maby 5-600 watts of solar(recomend Renogy) on this roof.   I would recommend a vent fan because it can become an easy bake oven in there.  LED lighting is where it needs to be these days I have two http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/truck-trailer-led-lights/56-round-dome-light-led-fixture-with-3-position-switch-/1273/2949/  and i can read in the back comfortably.  Four would be as bright as anything would need.  back up honda quiet generator for cloudy days or when using high amperage.  

My 300watts of solar runs the fan 24hrs a day, LED lighting,  and two hours of TV watching.   But i don't know if that's sustainable 5 days a week. 

Ops,  guess i shoul dhave read the whole post first,   I see that you are done!  How is that Espar working for you guys?  What size and is it mounted under the floor?    Did you have to give it its own fuel tank?

Interesting article on www.trucktrend.com on "Trucks or Vans - Whch are better for work?"