Sign in to follow this  
MobytheVan

Anyone removed the front passenger seat? How do I keep from losing the use of airbags if I do?

Pulled my front seat, intending to install a heater and cargo storage there as I use it as a camper van and travel alone.  Noticed the airbag light came on.  Anyone know if a way to fix this?  I definitely don't want to loose the airbags...

Meter the resistance value on the airbag connector on the seat.  Find a resistor that matches and connect it to the harness.  That has worked in the past, but my knowledge is dated.  I remember, vaguely, reading about airbag delete dongles being sold.  Maybe google that up.

I took mine out, and the center consul. Replaced it with a double seat, from a Ford transit(rear) so now I have 3 seats in front. I used a resistor recommended in some other nissan forum, maybe 370Z. It was really easy. Might be too late though, if you already started the van without the resistor. Might require the resistor and a factory reset at this point.

So like they said, you have to trick the SRS system into thinking the seats are there, this is done with a resistor.  The delete dongles that aztec mentioned are just resistors done up in a quick harness for people that don't know how to work with electrical components.  As to resetting the light once you either put your seats back in or add the resistor, it's a very straightforward process, there is a youtube video that involves cycling your key a couple times and whatnot.  My internet isn't running well enough rn to pull up the video, but just search "Nissan Airbag Light Reset" and you should find it.  I'll double back and post it later when I have better net if you haven't found.  As to resistor values, IIRC it's about 1k ohms, but you'll want to do some research and/or measure your resistance to confirm.