HVAC25

How to keep power to the accessories plug

2018 NV1500, how can I keep power to the accessory plug when the key is off. 

If you have the center console with a plug inside, that one is always on.  Otherwise, you can run a wire to the fuse block and tap a battery connection, go direct to the battery, etc.  I added an extra outlet that way.  Fuse block worked for me.  

Edited by aztec

When I have to charge a phone using the center console usb, I have to turn the key to accessory. Never tried the 12v outlet. 

Logical, since we have an outlet near the sliding door that Sportsmobile installed that works off the house batteries. Great for plugging in a cooler but have to disconnect when camping for awhile or the batteries will drain. 

No OEM has constant power to a USB.  The issue is the USB is 5V, so there has to be a circuit driver to keep that 5V ready to use.  Problem is that is a (very small) drain on the battery.  The motorcycle forums people try it and it is enough to run a motorcycle battery down in a few days.  Car battery would take longer, but still it is a drain.  It would be a source of "no start after sitting for a few weeks". 

I have a plug into the power outlet USB adaptor, also have solar to keep things charged.  Planning on doing the same to the NV when I get a chance.

4 hours ago, crusty said:

No OEM has constant power to a USB.  The issue is the USB is 5V, so there has to be a circuit driver to keep that 5V ready to use.  Problem is that is a (very small) drain on the battery.  The motorcycle forums people try it and it is enough to run a motorcycle battery down in a few days.  Car battery would take longer, but still it is a drain.  It would be a source of "no start after sitting for a few weeks". 

I have a plug into the power outlet USB adaptor, also have solar to keep things charged.  Planning on doing the same to the NV when I get a chance.

Im not trying to use the USB port. Im want to use the cigarette lighter port.