marky

2016 Nissan NV 2500 HD high top passenger van - hazards and turn signal doesn't work.

When I hooked up my utility Trailer it did not ground correctly - Now Hazards dont work, Left Turn Signal and Right Tail Light not working... any advice?

Left Turn Signal will blink one time, then stop.

The brake lights, reverse lights and some other things werent working either.

I checked all the blade type fuses under the steering wheel and in the box under the hood next to the battery and changed any that were blown.

Now the only things left that are not working are 

the Hazards, Left Turn Signal and Right Tail Light... any advice?

Left Turn Signal will blink one time, then stop.

And the right tail light doesn't work, but it does work as the right turn signal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sometimes my utility trailer's lights won't full work until I drive with it attached, I think it has to do with the connection between the ball and the coupler for a ground. Use a multimeter to test the 7 pin, then the adapter, if you still haven't found the problem test the trailer with a 12v battery (jump pack if you have one) by hooking up each pin to the battery.

The ball is a horrible ground.  The 7-pin has a ground.  Hook up the ground on the trailer plug to the trailer frame.

This type of horrible trailer wiring is why Nissan isolated the factory trailer plug from the primary vehicle wiring.  So when you have a messed up trailer wiring it won't take out the vehicle lights.  Also why you really should use the factory trailering harness and never use the quick tap into the tail lights universal stuff.

Nothing wrong with the van.  Only the lack of a proper ground on the trailer.

I have the same issue: turn signals don’t work or blink once, same with hazards.

Fuses all seem to be in order.

Sounds like someone tapped into the factory tail light wiring for the trailer wiring.  Bad idea.  Overloads the BCM.  If damaged they are an expensive fix.

Get the factory trailer wiring kit.  It is extensive and runs the full length of the van all the way up to the passenger door.

The factory tow wiring completely isolates the trailer wiring from the vehicle lighting.  Bad grounds, shorts, overloads, backfeeding won't screw up the vans lighting system.

The bad part is it takes work to install the factory trailering wiring kit.  For someone who is simply trying to get trailer wiring as fast and easy as possible, tail light tap is quick and crude.  The local U-haul does this because it is the fastest way to get your money and get you to leave.  Use generic parts, not actually getting the correct parts.