tjash

Newb in Maine - 4x4 on order

Just put in our deposit for a 2021 NV Passenger with Advanced’s 4x4 conversion from Ken Garff.  Should be ready in a month or so.  I’ll post details on our pick-up and drive back.  We live near Portand, ME and plan to fly out to Salt Lake City and road trip it back.  

Stock photo attached, but ours will be similar.  Arctic Blue metallic, rack and ladder, step rails, 3” lift, black out.  Keeping the stock wheels and tires for the drive home, but plan to upgrade to black wheels with 275/70R18 General Grabber ATXs once we’re back East.

It’ll be a family adventure bus, mostly.  Lots of hiking, biking, camping and skiing for us (2 kids, 3 large dogs, and 1 lap rat).

More to follow as the adventure unfolds.  I’ll post a question about mats in another forum, and keep that updated if I find what I’m looking for.

B009B30F-62D5-49BC-934F-70F24B5E307A.jpeg

Edited by tjash
Corrected tire size

Welcome. You will have a great trip back particularly if you drive south to I-70 and Canyonlands. Should be warm around Moab. 

Waffling on the tire choice now - considering the Yokohama Geolander GT015s for a better road ride and longer life, at a lower price.

Also, thought I was in the clear with 275/70R18s and an 18mm offset, but it seems like some people have had rubbing issues.  When I was first on here, I saw a pic of a shimmed door using some stainless washers.  Can’t seem to find that now - can anyone point me to it (or other shimming pics/descriptions)?  Searched for a while and just came up with casual mentions.

Under accessories and mods there is a lengthy description. 

You have to dig deep in the strangest places to find what you need. 

Just out out of curiosity, why not get a NVP closer to home and have them deliver it to Quigley. I get the road trip... Have you travelled out west before?

Thanks for the lead!  I’ll go poke around and find it.

I liked the package from Ken Garff and Advanced a little better, including some of the options they offered.  Spendy, but by the time I pieced it all together on my own, I figured it was worth the one-stop shopping.  

I’ve spent a lot of time out west, but haven’t driven cross country in 20 years.  Last time it was with a mountain bike on the back of a Wrangler, so this should be an interesting take!  Looking forward to it, but I haven’t decided on taking the northern route or dipping more to the south yet.

Head south. You may have plenty of winter left. 

My side of the family is from Boston via Machias. We have been planning a return trip there for some time to include the Maritimes. 

A little dusty from the trip and recent weather, but she’s home and happy in Maine!

93C375D3-F1AF-40A0-80DC-76702AEAB9C8.jpeg

C3F56C71-F0BF-40DF-998D-D4F66B6338F6.jpeg

E6D8677D-727D-4FCA-A640-EA19B944698F.jpeg

Just missed out on buying back the family home in Machias (1820 - 1982). Sold for somewhere over $130k over the asking price. Too pricey and too far away. 

Only reason I mention this is that I thought about the need to winterize our camper van and would it fit through the barn door. Or, would we sell it. 

Enjoy your NV.