8DeepInTx

HELP......Rear Left Quarter Panel Power Inverter

Although I can easily defend myself when it comes to pretty much any other kind of car repair/mods I’m not super savvy when it comes to wiring and electrical systems so I’m reaching out to the NV community in an attempt to solicit help.

I have a 2016 NVP3500 SL and am in the process of upgrading the audio system throughout the van. Given that the interior panels are removed for this upgrade, I decided I would take advantage and add some additional USB3.0 quick charge ports on both rear quarter panels. In order to get power to these new outlets my plan was to just splice into the existing cigarette lighter and 120v outlet on the drivers side and then run wiring from the 120v outlet in the center console hidden along the floor panels all the way to about 5” above the 6x9 speaker where I plan to cut a spot in the panel & install the small panel including two additional USB3.0 ports. 

My question is:  I looked up the part number located on the small silver box (approx 6”x6”) located bolted to the hollow rectangular space near the left rear door and it appears to be a power inverter. Photos attached below.

Does anyone know what this supplies power to? Has anyone connected to this and gotten power for additional outlets like what I’m looking to do? Maybe a power source for an amp/subwoofer? Small fridge/freezer combo?

I would be very grateful for any input from those in the community on what this power inverter is designated for AND if I can use it for these additional power sources OR to bring power to an external amplifier/subwoofer would be greatly appreciated! I would love to not have to run wiring for my amp’s power all the way from the 12v battery under the hood!

Thanks in advance!

57F93E66-54CE-4EDA-80B2-75C7ECCB1BFB.jpeg

C80798F7-4672-47BF-A5EA-79DF2DC484A5.jpeg

It outputs a small amount of ac.  Good for charging your phone.  If you read the owners manual, it lists an odd set of constraints based on whether the engine is running, etc.  

It converts 12V DC to 120V AC for the outlets right next to the invertor and the one in the console.  It is a modified sine wave, not all electrical stuff is happy running on it.  Only works when the engine is running and you remember to press the button on the dash.

Most of the small fridge/freezers have a warning not to run on an invertor.  They want either pure sine wave power or 12V DC.  And they will run on 12V DC more efficient than going through the step up process to 120V first. 

That heavy 12V wire is a power wire to the front.  But it is sized to run the invertor.  Not the invertor and an amp. 

You're the expert, but I suspect that heavy wire is for AC.  

@crusty and @aztec I appreciate the input.....you both certainly helped me decide to NOT splice into that power inverter at all. I have spent the past few days reading some of the other forums/posts and think I am going to run two additional Renogy 12v 100AH LiFePO4 batteries (both mounted in rear of vehicle) + split charge relays + power inverter + battery isolator switch/monitor +inverter (still calculating if load merits 1000W or 1500W) + fuse along with all the obvious wiring needed. I am going to attempt to mount one 12v on either side of the rear quarter panel and split the load as evenly as possible. 

One of the open items I still need to investigate and decide on is plugging into the primary 12v battery and alternator or the possible advantages & disadvantages of adding an additional alternator which would be dedicated entirely to vehicle "add-on's" and by doing so not interfere with any of the stock wiring. If either of you, or anyone else for that matter has experience building an additional circuit using a second alternator I would love to get direct NV feedback vs what I read online about RV's or boat's etc....

One thing to start with might be a high end deep cycle battery.  I got a whole year out of my stock battery before the abuse of charging tool batteries and other devices killed it.  Most batteries have a manufacture date on them.  Pay attention.  I've seen 3 year old batteries on the shelf at Napco.