vanguy

Towing Report

Just started towing with my 2500 V8 High Roof. My van has the factory installed tow package. I tow a 16 ft tandem axle, enclosed trailer weighing between 6000 & 6500 lbs depending on equipment I have loaded.  The tongue weight is approx. 700 - 1000 lbs. depending on equipment I have loaded.   

Here are my first impressions:

When I first hooked up, it was nice to see that the van only dropped 2 inches from the tongue weight. This is only a 3/4 ton van so I was a bit concerned. I don't believe I will need any type of suspension support. Yeah!

After adjusting my brake controller, I headed down the road. The V8 engine is very strong & handles the hills very well. The transmission shifts at just the right points while in tow mode.

The trailer tows very smoothly. I get zero sway & so no need for sway control. The van rides & steers smoothly. The only complaint in this area is that when 18 wheelers blow by me on the interstate, I get pushed quite a bit from the draft. A lot more so than my Chevy 3500 van. I believe this is due primarily to the High roof. Low roof models may not have as much a problem.

I like the brakes on this van much better than my old Chevy. They have a good grip & I feel more confident when braking.

I'm going to have to get used to backing up. My old Chevy van was an extended van & didn't turn near as sharp as the Nissan. That is actually better & easier for backing. I'm going to have to get used to how fast & how sharp this thing can turn while backing.

I have navigation in the NV & so the back up camera is great for seeing & aligning the hitch & ball when hooking up.

The factory installed 7 pin electrical connector on the van is somewhat of a cheapo connector. I have to shove, jiggle, & sweet talk it into making contact every time I hook up.

So far, I'm still in love with my NV!

Hope this helps anyone who has towing questions. At the time I purchased mine, I couldn't find anyone who was hauling a large heavy trailer to get any feedback.

i agree with everything you said, especially the steering feel. I am impressed with the easy soft steering of this van. I have a backup cam too and its awesome for lining up the ball and hitch

That you for the tow report. I tow 95 percent of the time with my tundra for a living.

Still have not pulled the trigger on a nv. Nice to know it tows good!