TJS6

Cummins Diesel!!!

Has anyone heard if they plan on putting the newly announced V8 Cummins Diesel into the NV anytime soon?  I just purchased our NV in June but would sell it in a second if the Diesel was offered.

Only saw the news that the 5 liter cumming diesel will be offered in the , "next gen titan"

Not sure if it will be a 2014 or 2015.

You would think they will be putting it into the nv maybe a year after the pick up truck. That would make sense to me but...

Not sure if it would be an easy drop in the nv since the nv shares the old gen titan plaform.

Maybe the new gen titan gettng this diesel will be much different platform.

I can't wait to see performance numbers especially towing, price, mpg.

supposedly, as stated above, a 5.0L cummins will be offered in the next gen titan.... could mean that they will put that motor in the next gen NV, or maybe current gen.

unless this diesel motor gets a signifigant increase in MPG, it might not be worth the premium cost of a diesel.

I think a diesel was already planned for the NV.  I think this because if you look at your dashboard warning lights, on the left towards the bottom I can see a "High Exhaust Temp" symbol light and a DEF Parked Regeneration light.  IIRC the NV is made in USA for USA, so unless they plan to export the NV (which then the NV would NEED to be a diesel) the only reason for the warning lights would be a planned diesel. 

I would also buy one in a second! 

Since I could drive I've been a "4x4 pickup guy".   That was until I got my NV2500SV. I am soo hooked on the van now it's crazy. It's like having a house on wheels. ( I drive 40-50k miles per year.) The only drag is the no 4x4 option... enter the Quigley NV! OMG it is perfect! Mostly because it uses 90% OEM Nissan parts, and doesn't raise the ride height. I was getting ready to trade my existing NV in for the new Quigley when I saw all the Cummins diesel talk. I just don't think the Nissan brass understands that this will be the end all ultimate van should they produce it!     Imagine a 4x4 Diesel NV 3500SV !!    My only fear is that they will be so consumed with fuel economy and competing with the "Sprinter" crowd that they will be missing the boat here.  WE NEED A VAN THAT CAN TOW, PEOPLE!!!  They may be considering a diesel option for the NV, but the little punk Cummins, NOT the 5.0. PLEASE,, can this blog reach the right people in Nissan.    Anyone???

Not clear that the diesel is coming in the NV at all never mind which one.  

All that we were told at the dealership level was "it's being considered." 

One would think that for towing you'd want the bigger diesel.

Not clear that the diesel is coming in the NV at all never mind which one.  

All that we were told at the dealership level was "it's being considered." 

One would think that for towing you'd want the bigger diesel.

I realize that this may all just be hopes and dreams, but the manufacturers must realize that Vans can tow too, and quite honestly make better expediter vehicles because they also provide sleeping quarters. Unlike the standard Pickup truck.    Don't you ever notice how more and more big rigs are becoming "Homes on wheels"? Well a Nice NV with a big Cummins fits my bill just fine. Another question I have is why would the new Ford Transit Vans have only a 6-7k Lb. tow rating with dual rear wheels and the same motor as the 10k lb rated F-150 with single rear wheels?? I would have to speculate it's because it has uni-body construction like the Sprinter.  Which leads me back to the Nissan that has a full chassis like the GMC Savanna (which also offers a Duramax) Someone please give me some answers, or give me a slap and knock some sense into me. Lol. 

BTW, I'm willing to bet My NV2500 is the only one to date that drove from Miami to Alaska and back on an 11k mile round trip. 

The 5.0 Cummins is nothing to laugh at with 275hp and 560lb/ft. as a commercial engine. The duramax in the express is only rated at 260hp/525lb/ft. and pulls 10,000lbs, so the 5.0 is right in line for a decent puller.  And with pre production tweaks it wouldn't be weird to see the Titan/NV 5.0 come out around 315hp/580lb/ft.  I am just hoping it comes sooner than later and sports a bigger fuel tank and maybe 4x4 from the factory (current model has warning lights in the dash for 4x4). I guess we'll see.

Oh, BTW my current NV pulls 9000lbs just fine with 385lb/ft., so adding an extra 180-200lb/ft. would be alright in my book.

Guy Kemp - Advanced Four Wheel Drive in Salt Lake is another NV4x4 converter. Just finished 5 days way off pavement and up to 11,371' with ours in what is my first real off road driving experience. I'm pleased!

Guy Kemp - Advanced Four Wheel Drive in Salt Lake is another NV4x4 converter. Just finished 5 days way off pavement and up to 11,371' with ours in what is my first real off road driving experience. I'm pleased!

Thanks Jon, I'll check them out. I'm actually driving my NV to Moab from Miami middle of October for a Dual Sport ride. It would be great to take it off road. Hey, any more pictures of your NV? Looks cool in the thumbnail. Thanks, GK. 

The 5.0 Cummins is nothing to laugh at with 275hp and 560lb/ft. as a commercial engine. The duramax in the express is only rated at 260hp/525lb/ft. and pulls 10,000lbs, so the 5.0 is right in line for a decent puller.  And with pre production tweaks it wouldn't be weird to see the Titan/NV 5.0 come out around 315hp/580lb/ft.  I am just hoping it comes sooner than later and sports a bigger fuel tank and maybe 4x4 from the factory (current model has warning lights in the dash for 4x4). I guess we'll see.

Oh, BTW my current NV pulls 9000lbs just fine with 385lb/ft., so adding an extra 180-200lb/ft. would be alright in my book.

My NV certainly has no trouble towing my 24' Haulmark with 6 - 850 lb Harley's in it. Plus an R1200GS in the van. I swear i pass people at 80 all day long, but the 8-9 mpg is killing me. If I could get 11-12 MPG from a diesel, the van would pay for itself. 

GuyKemp - our NV really isn't "finished" yet visually. Still need some bumpers that aren't factory chrome ones. I'll try to post something from the Eastern Sierra trip over the weekend

GuyKemp - Here's a shot from Coyote Flat above Bishop CA last week

Ridge3

Jon - great looking van!   Yours is the only high roof I have seen that also has a pop-up roof. Would you tell us a little more about that feature?

Sure Wollip - we've had two Sprinter based RV's. The second was a fabulous Outside Van that we purchased used. But my needs changed in that I also needed a dual purpose van that will have more room for work gear during the week. And have the GVW capability to safely carry that gear.

In the 3 years we had the OV we've also met a lot of "overlanders" (many with Ford 4x4 vans) and I'm tired of them posting pictures on Facebook parked at the end of a fire road where they are spending the weekend watching both sunrises and sunsets from the same spot.

We also wanted to venture further into Baja Mexico without Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel worries.

I'm 6'7" so a Ford with a poptop that's down is like a crawl space to me. The high top Nissan is 2" less interior height than our Outside Van was. Something I could live with. But the Nissan interior has 6' less front to back space than the 170" Sprinter so the bed had to go on the roof!

Advanced Four Wheel Drive in Salt Lake did the 4x4 conversion. Colorado Camper Van did the pop top bed addition. I've done a quicky temporary home built interior to start using it NOW! Well pick a real interior upfitter to do the interior soon.

Two weeks of Colorado back roads plus one week in 4x4 off road in the eastern sierras and so far I'm verry pleased with the Nissan, the 4x4 conversion, and the pop top.

Jon - thanks for the info. Great to hear from someone that gave up six feet of interior to get the van with the features he needs. Enjoy!

Jon and Wollip,

Since this started out as a diesel topic how about creating a "Ground Up Build" topic so it will easier to find your "camperized" posts.

We also looked at Outside Van but were put off by the price and the fact that their site showed "sold" custom builds. I read somewhere that they primarily took the order and had Adventure Vans or someone else do the work. They did have good videos.

On the topic of diesels, will the planned (maybe?) Cummings diesels be able to burn whatever diesel is available like our '05 TDI? This would be a huge plus for a NV diesel. Otherwise your decision to opt out of a Sprinter for a gas NV was the right one.

Any diesel sold '07 and after in USA & Canada has to have Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. Period. Until you vote in new folks in Washington.

Every Outside Van is a custom unit. It might be similar to a previous unit but when you order an OV part of the $ is your very unique build.

Van Speciaties used to be their primary sub contractor but OV has built a new facility and does more of their own work.

Don't be scared by the VS/OV workflow. OV had a full time staff person overseeing VS work 40hrs a week!

OV is a class above and it costs $$$ to get there. We're undecided who will do our new interior. If a $ windfall hits my house soon I'm driving to OV ASAP!

radin2son,

My bad! How easily my curiosity snared Jon and led us both down the path of off topic - sorry Jon. I'll try to keep myself in better check going forward.

I do wish the moderators would give us a separate category - something along the line of NV Conversions and RVs.

I think there are enough of us converting to justify the space.

We made the decision almost 2 years ago not to go with a Sprinter conversion. We bought the NV because it fit our needs best. We also liked the idea of having a gas engine, even considering poor mpg, that Nissan had been using since the introduction of the Titan. Parts and a mechanic should be easier to find while traveling in remote areas. So far, no emergencies.