Bamps

BOUNCY THE NV VAN

So, 25 miles to pavement is hard on shocks/struts. My NV is a 2015 so the originals were pretty worn out. I ordered a set of loaded strut from ebay and they were pure trash. I then ordered a set of Monroe struts from rockauto but they were not the loaded SO. Out came my spring compressor and . . . it didn’t fit the larger diameter spring coils. No problem, I thought I’d just take them (original old loaded and new struts) to the tire shop and have them transfered so I could take them home to install.  The “tech” informed me they would not fit. So, I called rockauto who said, “those are the number listed by Monroe for that van”  Then, I called Monroe, they were extremely helpful and in a very understanding nice way, basically said the “tech” was blowing blueberries out his behind.  SO, knowing a good machinist/mechanic, (my son), I had some custom spring compressors made and yeah, Monroe was 100% correct, the “tech” had a blueberry problem for certain.

Yesterday, I just installed new Monroe rear shocks to complete the new struts/shocks change out and to make a long story short . . . NO MORE BOUNCY THE VAN.

I know that bouncy feeling. I'm trying to find replacement front struts as the OEM ones are both leaking at 45k miles on our van but there seems to be nothing available nationally right now. So did you essential swap out the shock in the front strut assembly? 

Rock auto shows the 553004 Monroe in stock.  If you reread Bamps post, his problem was with his spring compressors, not the Monroe struts. 

And yes... you just move the spring from one to the next.  Best to have a professional do it if you aren't familiar with the process...it can be very dangerous. 

-laf

Edited by Local Apparent Friday