Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

TPMS update

Finally took out NV camping after 20 months only to have “TPMS ERROR” pop up. RR was the problem. No real issue but annoying. 

Back in 2016, when tires were replaced, I was told the stems couldn’t be reused. Only $7 per stem so no big deal. This info was wrong. Stem seals were replaced but not the stem and battery. 

Batteries typically last 7-10 years.  

Replacing just the battery isn’t an option. Replacement of the new, complete stem runs $60 or roughly $250 for four.  

If you have an older NV or plan to buy one built 7-10 years ago, expect this added expense. Or ignore it. Terrible system regardless. 

Buy aftermarket at $55 for a set of 4 and have the system work correctly.

Many years ago I was towing a trailer with an SUV.  TPMS light came on, pulled into a rest area.  Wow, right rear tire was nearly flat.  Couldn't feel it on the highway.  The back was a little squishy, but that is how it feels with a trailer.  Without the light I would never have felt anything odd until the tire came apart and destroyed thousands of dollars worth of stuff.  Maybe a few lives as well. 

Is the light annoying?  No, it is money saving.  Just fix it right, use them as they should be used.

The only thing I have for comparison is the Transit.  They also have sensors that can't be repaired if a battery dies.  I think that's universally true.

Yes, you can get them cheaper but not all of us can remove and remount a tire. You can chalk where the weights are, but is that the correct balance? 

This included “free” balancing and they found a nail in driver side front tire. Fixed and prevented a future problem. 

Good for people to know options. 

Long ago, dealer( not Discount Tire) rotated tires but failed to change TPMS or psi. TPSM didn’t pick up on 30 psi rear and 80 psi front. Drove fine and didn’t notice it until we were parked in a dispersed camping area. Letting air out was easy. Pumping air with a bicycle floor pump not so much. (Carry a small air compressor now.)

Lots of numbers on this Nissan battery valve stem

Tan back #40700 1PAOA

Side #56842730068623

Black back # SEL 15078861

3AC991EC-8E48-48CE-ABC7-361888130C58.jpeg

E7680D24-7805-482A-B6E9-C73D4A3D23E4.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

Had to replace all four on my transit.  Didn't need to do more than break the bead on one side and push the bead past the sensor.  They tend to be angled to flush up against the rim in the drop center.  

No need to dismount the tire, thus no need for a rebalance.  Just break the outer bead, reach in and do the swap.  Barely any more than doing a valve stem.

Amazon sells a Kentool bead breaker for about $50.  You could do the job without taking the rims off the truck.  A real man would just go at it with a $10 non-metallic carpet stair tool though. ?

I think the Harbor freight tire changer (with bead breaker) is only $45

$45-50 bead breaker

$55.      valve stems/batteries

$30+    wheel balance 

$?           nail/flat repair

$100+.   Total

labor      Priceless

No need for balance.  Where does flat repair come in?  TPMS is required by law and every vehicle I'm aware of has the same style of disposable stem sensors.  Ford (and others?) used to strap them to the inside of the rim with a steel band.  That was messed up.  

Tires rotated and balanced for free at Discount Tire since van already there getting new valve stems. When checking the tires, they found a nail in one tire. 

DIY at $100+ is definitely cheaper than the $250 I paid even factoring in the potential cost of rotation and balance. Didn’t know there was a nail in one tire as there was no psi loss. 

Edited by radin2son