DisneyNV

Nissan NV Passenger Oil Pressure Light Flickers

On a trip and had the oil pressure light flicker, decided to pull over and took it to a shop and they said it need to have the oil changed and there was sludge but they did a complete change and “top clean” and we were fine. Worked great for a couple of weeks after returning from trip but now oil pressure light flickers, on/off (so fast I didn’t know what it was at first). I’ve been watching for when it is idling, rpm’s or something else but can’t seem to see anything consistent. Any clues?

Check your oil pressure.

Took it again today and the tech said that it looked fine. No oil leaks, pressure good, but after 3 weeks he had to add 4qts of oil. 

Nice.  Sell it.  Used market is raging.

Took it to Nissan and they told me new engine ($15,564). Oil pressure was way off and leaking out the exhaust. They aren’t really going to offer much, but trying to get them to give at least $20k. Thoughts?

That is an insane price for an engine, even at a dealer.

What year, mileage, and engine?

These engines are not exactly rare.  Shared with Titans, Armada, Frontiers, and Xterra.  Engine failure is a rarity

2016, 82000miles

Think I should ask for more? 

8 minutes ago, DisneyNV said:

Think I should ask for more? 

Now I am confused.  I thought they were trying to charge you that much for an engine. 

Are you trying to sell them the van instead of getting it fixed? 

What does the van book at with a good engine?  What does an engine cost?  simple math of what it is worth.

That is the charge for the engine that they quoted. With a good engine people are selling for $25-30k. Engine cost is about $2-4.5K,  just general searches locally I have called around to see if any local mechanics are willing to work on it, no luck. 

Edited by DisneyNV

Only 2 reasons to pursue this:

No good alternative van or other vehicle available even if you get a decent trade in. 

You have cash. 

Check the Titan forum to see if they have a list of shops that do rebuilds or install “factory” rebuilt or crate engines. Nissan specific repair shops may not want to take this on, but check them as well. 

It isn't complicated.  You take it to a (different) dealer who has a vehicle you want, and trade it in.  They aren't going to do much of an inspection, and you are not in any way obligated to disclose.

Edited by aztec