Sign in to follow this  
Keeleyc123

2016 NV200 SV roof rails and cross bars

I have a Nissan NV 200 SV from 2016, and have been struggling to sort out a roof storage situation. I currently have two cross bars set in the manufactured holes. The main problem is that my roof box, and most standard roof boxes, don't fit the width of the factory hole placements. I believe most factory roof boxes only expand to about 36-38" max distance and my bars are 41". I've been looking into a roof rail and cross bar situation for my vehicle, but the only option I have found seems to have a weight barring capacity of 75 lbs or I need to drill holes in the roof to fit a generic brand. Basically, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there. I am curious if anyone has sorted out a roof storage situation. Either a brand of roof rails/cross bars that works for the van or a roof box that can go beyond the standard. 

I use my van as a weekend warrior camping rig, but in the summers I live in it for 4 months... Any tips or suggestions would be great! 

Can you post a photo? I know nothing about NV 200’s roof mount system.

Since you use/live in it more than most, it may be worth your while to drill more holes. A third cross bar may let you add other options as well. 

75-100 lbs seems about right for most racks. 

Thanks for the response. Here is the roof. I currently have crossbars on there, but they are too wide for the standard roofbox. You can see in the first photo a slot in the roof that looks like the area I would install rails. I just feel intimidated by the process of drilling holes into the roof. 

I've seen racks that hold 165lbs. 75lbs seems like so little. I have an awning that probably weights 50 lbs and my roof box alone is probably 20lbs. 

IMG_8876.thumb.JPG.dcde19b1880f3857a591b148a0376539.JPGIMG_8874.thumb.JPG.36492603153592cd5fdd10116bd22a18.JPG

Assuming the van came to you with the cross bars installed, I can understand you not wanting to put additional holes in the roof. Does the awning need that width or do the cross bars just look right the way you have it?  

Your best bet may be to add a light weight platform to the existing cross bars to mount the box. A quick search came up with LockNLoad System. Pricey at $850 but looks versatile. Looks like they are made for pickup over cab use. Impressive weight capacity.

Edited by radin2son

Finally saw a NV200 with ladder rack on it. The factory drilled holes with cross bars are quite the stretch. 

For cars, I’ve always gone with Thule roof racks for bikes, but like Yakima as well. The reason is you can plug in your car/van to see what fits, then set up a chat or call them to make sure their system will work. If you are near REI, pay them a visit to check out the product.

Let us know how you worked this out.

When I was looking for a bike rack, I didn't care about for price honestly what are the difference between the cheap and expensive ones. What really bothered me is there is an actual risk of my bike falling off. I read lots of reviews and feedback. If anyone looking for a bike rack, I found mine here.
If some one worring about instalation. So long as you are strong enough to get a bike up to the roof level, it can by loaded without assistance: just get the bike in place, hold it with one hand while tightening the clamp with the other then tighten the straps holding the wheels and the job is done, with the bikes rock solid.
Hope this is helpful

Hi, Keeleyc123-

I've got a 2015 that I put an Alumarack on. I love it. It may give you some more options. I’m also planning on getting some kind of locking storage box but not the “coffin” style. This rack ran me around $750 4 years ago.

03609973-7460-4AFC-99E6-B98FD3CA9235.jpeg