Sign in to follow this  
Sesker15

Which NV to get?

Hello I'm new to the forum. Looking at getting a new motovan( a van that you carry your dirtbikes in). Rite now I have a 2001 E250. Which nv do you guys think is best. I'm not interested in the high roof one. I won't have any loads over 700 pounds. I just found out about these nv vans and they seem great!

i would reccomend the 3500 with the V8.. the 3500 comes with the 3.54 rear end and with that light of a load it should get great MPG

i would reccomend the 3500 with the V8.. the 3500 comes with the 3.54 rear end and with that light of a load it should get great MPG

You think I would need that big motor? I'm not towing anything just putting my bikes in the van is the plan?

I would recommend getting an 2500or 3500  sv model with as many extras from the factory as you will ever need. the s models are pretty plain jane and trying to upfit them hasn't been very friendly and costly like: navigation with the extra speakers, rear back-up and sonar assist, windows, hitch, and make sure its a V-8 . you will have more power than you will need but it will be there if you tow anything

I always like to think forward. What will I need down the road?

Based upon your current needs I would get the 2500 with a V6, It will handle hauling your bikes quite easily with a little better mileage than the V8. I don't think the 1500 is available in the high roof.  Besides the 1500 are very lite duty.

The V6 2500 will tow up to a 7000 lb load.

I have a 2500 V8 & tow a 6500 lb trailer on a regular basis & hardly know it is back there.

Sweet. Thanks for the help!

I would get the 2500 v8.Before I bought mine I drove both v6 and v8 for about 50 miles each. To be honest I new I need a v8 after 5 minutes in v6. It was constantly downshifting, loud and underpowered. Maybe with 8 speed transmission v6 would be sufficient, but not with 5speed. Simply not enough torque. Make sure you drive both one after another. As far as fuel economy, both will be bad....My driving I get 13mpg,2500 v8 high top. Guy I know has same one with a v6 and gets 14mpg. One time I gave him a chance to drive mine aND he said he did a mistake buying v6.

Hello I'm new to the forum. Looking at getting a new motovan( a van that you carry your dirtbikes in). Rite now I have a 2001 E250. Which nv do you guys think is best. I'm not interested in the high roof one. I won't have any loads over 700 pounds. I just found out about these nv vans and they seem great!

If you were in my dealership based off of what little you have said I'd steer you towards a 1500SV, probably with tec if it's personal vehicle (bluetooth and camera are nice).  You'd be at a nice price point and I don't see the need to spend the extra $$ on the 2500 as you won't need the stiffer ride for extra payload capacity you'll never use.  One caveat to that is if you want the center console.  It is convenient but I'm not sure if that plus the power inverter in your case would be worth it.  1500SV will have sonar, keyless, all power, basically everything the 2500 does minus the aforementioned inverter and console.

My personal opinion on the 6 vs 8 is the 6 is more than fine for your application.  I have spent ALOT of time in both and for me, unless you were doing a lot of towing with substantial weight you don't "need" the 8.  However alot of that is personal preference.

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

I always go with the biggest engine. I would prefer to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That's just me.

These vans are heavy. With smaller engine having to work that much harder, I wouldn't be surprised if the mpg advantage is non-existent.