Sign in to follow this  
crtman

Insurance for NV 12 Pax for personal use

Hello!

I just got my new Nissan NV 3500 12 Pax for my 7-person family transporter.  I unfortunately got a bad insurance quote from my current company and went into the purchase thinking it wouldn't cost much more than the previous minivan.  Once I purchased and went to insure it, I was told it is considered a commercial vehicle and therefore I've been quoted MUCH higher rates.  I really think there has got to be another option besides $2500/yr for insurance for this vehicle.  I am using it solely for personal/family use.  One thing that was mentioned was the gross vehicle weight being a factor.  But I can't believe it is any more than the giant Suburbans running around out there, and I'm sure they aren't paying commercial insurance rates.  So, can anyone help me??  Who do you have insurance with, and how much are you paying?  I love the van so far but really can't afford to wreck the family budget to insure it.  Thanks!

We're with Progressive and the rate we got is only slightly higher than what we were paying for an MDX. You shouldn't be paying commercial rate since you're not running a business in the van. Make sure they know it's passenger version and not the cargo version. I do recall them having to do some research before giving me the initial quote… I don't think the vehicle was entered into their system and they had to manually add the passenger version.

Actually, commercial rates are usually lower than passenger rates if you have other commercial insurance with the same company.

My NV2500 V8 SV is worth about $10,000.00 more than my passenger vehicle. My commercial insurance on the NV is cheaper.

The main problem seems to be that no one knows what a NV is. We had to educate our Farmers agent and their computer. It was added as a van to our car policy. It turns out this was not the way for us to go, as our NV is a camper. That is another story.

You are just going to have to call around to get the policy you want and emphasize it is a passenger van.