radin2son

Need new tire suggestions

We have kept our NV 2500 Sportsmobile mostly stock. Replaced the OEM Firestone tires 6 years ago with stock Michelin Defenders. Great tire for us with lots of tread left, but the desert takes it toll. Don’t want to risk driving across the desert with current tires. (In mid-90s in a Westy, 2 tires blew between Gila Bend and Yuma on I-8.) 

Michelin apparently discontinued Defenders, so I need some help with what is out there. No plans to lift or go to larger tires. The next owner can do that. Still plan to drive forest service roads and pavement to get there. Joke in Tucson is that you have to drive 500 miles to start your trip. 

So the question is, what tire would “all 3 of you” go with?

I installed BF Goodrich T/A KO2 265/70 R17 on my high roof NV 2500 camper van conversion a year ago.  They are slightly oversized but easily fit in the wheel wells without any problems.  I had the original OEM Firestones on there and didn't trust them for driving remote rocky roads and they also had terrible traction.  I have been extremely happy with my choice.  They are quite, provide a smooth ride and have amazing traction.  Also with the reinforced sidewalls I no longer worry about the sharp rocks you often find on back country roads.  Have done several long road trips through the southwest .

Thanks. Stock wheels? 

I’ve considered these. Good to know they are smooth riding and quiet. 

Yes, stock wheels. 

1_side view.jpg

Like the “flares” or “bump outs.”

Came across this 2018 article yesterday. “Top AT tires for truck campers.” truckcamperadventures.com

Most likely will not go with KO2. Too much tire for future trips. Some good alternatives in the article that others have put on their NVs per older posts. 

I probably will play it safe and go with Michelin Agilis  Crossclimate. Perhaps, I’ll get convinced otherwise when I buy new tires this week or next. 

Edited by radin2son

Decided to go with the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate ($280). Other choice was Cooper Discoverer HT3 ($254).

A recommended tire to consider in place of the BFG KO2 is the Nitto Ridge or Terra Grappler but NV stock rims won't work. Dura Grappler, highway, will fit. 

Michelin's roadside service plan excludes LT245/70R as this is a "commercial" tire. Had to call them to clarify this. 

A38C70EE-CCE5-45E3-978B-4BD1940DB38C.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

We have had Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock rims for a few years now and love them.  I have Michelins on all our other vehicles and was hesitant to go with the Nittos.  Wouldn't change a thing and we've taken them up to Jasper, done the James Bay road and some crazy "roads" through Quebec.  They fit no problem on the stock rims.

I posted a couple of years ago to "largest tires on stock rims non lifted.  Review and pics are there.

More than likely, the Big O shop owner had little to no experience with NVs. It wasn’t the rim size so much as the need for a lift to prevent tire rub.

Owner also said the Big O brand has switched to Nitto made from BFG. 

Edited by radin2son

On 6/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, radin2son said:

So the question is, what tire would “all 3 of you” go with?

It's funny but also depressing.  After reading the "largest tires that will fit" thread that was referenced above, I went with the BFGs.  I ended up also doing a 2" leveling kit up front so she looks beast rn, but yah.  They are a solid tire, have run them plenty in the past on other vehicles.

Quick review of Michelin Agilis tires. Quiet at interstate speed, handle muddy, wet clay, dirt, and wet pavement. 

It’s a good all around tire for varying conditions. Not a specific winter or off road tire. 

50-80 psi.

When not on pavement, dirt roads are generally maintained. Dusty and washboard. If the road is not maintained in some fashion, we look for a turnaround or believe what the map says. 

On most recent trip, dusty road at Black Canyon. P0448 code came on well after the fact when driving on wet roads. Check engine light disappeared sooner than usual. It was either oops or never mind...

6/2023. Tire recall. Testing done under wrong psi for snow. 

Supposed to mail out recall notice 6/2. No info beyond that. 

Tires rotated when service done.  TPMS not reset, despite telling them to. So, when I drove away no check tire pressure warning light.

80 psi all around. 

Anyone else besides LAF running 80 psi front and rear? 

Do we even know how to reset the TPMS?  I bolted mine on in the wrong locations...luckily I'm coming up on 10k miles so I can just put them in the right place this time. ?

TPMS reset is pretty convoluted but doable per some posts. 

Will see how 80 psi works in the high desert and mountains in Colorado. 

False alarm re recall. Michelin site shows only R15 and 16 C-metric tires involved in voluntary recall. 

May be an issue for NV 200 if purchased as replacement tires. 
Remedy in the works. 

Ran 80/80 psi on a just completed 2k trip in the 4 corners (AZ, UT, CO, NM) area. Interstate, 2 lane and lots of dirt. No rain, so no mud. 

Didn’t notice any difference in ride or handling. NV computer says 16 mpg. Paper calculation will be lower. 

Edited by radin2son

11 hours ago, radin2son said:

NV computer says 16 mpg. Paper calculation will be lower. 

Wait, what?

Your computer tells you mpg? I just went to look: nada. Where is that?

2012 models show range, then mpg.etc. For some reason, mpg disappeared from the display in 2013. 

I had to go out and look…

Sequence: Range, average mpg, average mph, time (since last reset?), tire info, settings. 

3 hours ago, radin2son said:

I had to go out and look…

Sequence: Range, average mpg, average mph, time (since last reset?), tire info, settings. 

Heh,

I got all of those - except mpg. Drat!