Sign in to follow this  
LEAF

6 kids and a full size van

My wife and I have 4 kids and twins on the way. We finally conceded that there is no minivan or SUV that will work well for our family as we will have two infant seats, one convertible car seat, and two booster seats. Everything but a full size van requires that the second row be able to fold forward to access the third row. That doesn't work well with car seats installed there.

When it comes to full size passenger vans, it seems like the options are really the Ford Econoline/Transit, the Chevy/GMC versions, the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter, or the Nissan NV (from what I can tell the Dodge Promaster doesn't yet have a passenger version).

Given that we are very new to this class of vehicle we would greatly appreciate knowing the pros and cons of these different vehicles. So far, all we know really know is that we appreciate things like backup sensors/cameras, headrests, airbags, reliability and gas mileage (although it will likely be driven about 10k per year). We are trying to determine the differences in costs as well (cost of vehicle, maintenance, etc).

Finally, we need to determine the vehicle before the twins arrive this summer.

Can you please help us determine the best vehicle for our family? Thanks.

I have 2 twin boys (18 months) and 3 girls 9yrs,11yrs,12 yrs + 2 dogs

I can tell you the things I like about the Nissan NV Passenger.

• Backup camera, it's huge and this is a must for tight parking
  • storage drawer under driver seat for baby wipes and diapers
  • passenger seat folds flat into a work desk AKA baby changing table :)
  • Seating configurations are nice
  • side curtain air bags

things I didn't like

• seat directly behind driver is not meant for rear facing car seats (front facing is approved)
  • no mirrors in sun visor (an easy DIY fix)
  • not much room behind rear 4 seats (probably won't fit stroller unless you take some seats out)
  • no factory remote car starter available

I have 2 twin boys (18 months) and 3 girls 9yrs,11yrs,12 yrs + 2 dogs

I can tell you the things I like about the Nissan NV Passenger.

• Backup camera, it's huge and this is a must for tight parking
  • storage drawer under driver seat for baby wipes and diapers
  • passenger seat folds flat into a work desk AKA baby changing table :)
  • Seating configurations are nice
  • side curtain air bags
things I didn't like

• seat directly behind driver is not meant for rear facing car seats (front facing is approved)
  • no mirrors in sun visor (an easy DIY fix)
  • not much room behind rear 4 seats (probably won't fit stroller unless you take some seats out)
  • no factory remote car starter available

We have similar groupings and ages of kids except my boys are older than the girls and my son hasn't talked us into the dog yet.

My wife has told me she at least wants backup sensors and would prefer a backup camera on a vehicle this size. Do you know of any other full size vans that have a camera or is this the only one?

We have a drawer in our current minivan so I can definitely see the value there.

Hadn't thought about the "changing table". That is perfect!

I like the advertised 324 seating configurations but I have no idea how they get to that. I do like the headrests and seatbelts on each seat though.

Do you know of any other vans with side curtain airbags?

That is really strange about the rear facing seats in that row. I am very intrigued by this as that is where we had planned to put the twins in their rear facing infant carriers. We also have one other child that is still rear facing. I wonder why.

I agree he mirrors are a simple DIY fix.

We were already thinking that we would have to remove seats to make room for a double stroller. What configuration did you use and what stroller do you use for your twins?

Remote starter is not a big deal for us in Southern California but I can see how it could be in some areas.

Lastly, how did you make the bullets on this forum?

Thanks.

Its completely safe to put a rear facing car seat anywhere in rows 2 through 4, including behind thendrivers seat. The front two seats are the only place where car seats are not approved. The warnings regarding no rear facing car seats that some people mention are a carryover from the cargo van manual and dont apply to the passenger version. Call Nissan North America Commercial and they will send you a letter to that effect.

We have five kids (8yr son, 5 yr daughter, 3 yr son, and 10 month twin daughters) and use the limo seating configuration without the 4th row. Twins and the wife sit in second row, and the three older kids sit in the third. Plenty of leg room and more space than anything comparable for a double stroller and the obligatory routine trips to Costco.

Its completely safe to put a rear facing car seat anywhere in rows 2 through 4, including behind thendrivers seat. The front two seats are the only place where car seats are not approved. The warnings regarding no rear facing car seats that some people mention are a carryover from the cargo van manual and dont apply to the passenger version. Call Nissan North America Commercial and they will send you a letter to that effect.

That is a strange typo. Why would the cargo van manual mention rear facing car seats in seats that don't exist in a cargo van. Good to know that Nissan will send a letter.

What is the limo configuration for the seats? I was thinking about removing half of the rear row for strollers and Costco.

Jimupcp "Important notes for installation: Do not install rear-facing CRS in the 2nd row driver side outboard seat.

Only install harness-equipped forward-facing CRS in positions with a top-tether anchor available. Due to
numerous vehicle seating configurations, not all CRS below will fit in every vehicle seat in every
configuration."

you make bullets with the button below "size"

I'm not sure about back up cameras but a recent competitor would be the new Ford Trasit

There are 324 configurations because the seats are modular meaning that there are 6 separate pieces of seats and 4 of those seats can be moved into a "limo" position which allows more leg room.  In reality of those 324 configurations only about 10 configurations are useful and will ever really be used in real life. 

My wife and I have 7 kids ages 16 years -10 months.  We had a 2009 Chevy Express 3500 for three years and have had a 2013 NV3500 SV for the past year.  In our opinion, there is simply no comparison.  The NV is 100X better than the Chevy in every way imaginable.

Ride: The Chevy rode like a 1 ton truck.  Bounced like crazy, kinda loud.  The NV on the other hand rides like a dream (my work car is a Cadillac - it doesn't ride quite that nice but is close).

Power: The Chevy had a 6.0L while the NV has a 5.6L.  We pull a 32 foot travel trailer and the NV pulls the trailer much, much better.  The first time we pulled the camper with the NV I found myself checking the mirrors to see if the camper was still there because I could barely tell the van was pulling anything.

Interior:  The Chevy looks like it was designed to shuttle people back and forth from the airport; no cup holders, hard to get in and out of (seat belts that have to be moved, etc.).  The NV's interior is so much more car-like.  There are cup holders in each row and multiple power outlets.  Built in navigation, a nice looking dash (the Chevy dash looks like a work truck).

Edited by dneiding

We also like the NV and have 6 kids (ages 12, 10, 8, 5, 4, 1).  There is no comparison.  Only complaint is the stupid sliding door issue which we have visited the dealership 4 times for.  I have pulled heavy loads without issue and recently took a 4 hour trip down state fully loaded and achieved around 15-16 MPG.  I have the 2013 without the MPG indicator yet that can be quickly remedied via either Bluetooth OBDII reader and phone app or scangauge.  

It is a powerful and comfortable riding van.  I would highly recommend running boards (we are currently looking at installing these) as the little kids need help in with the height yet currently my older kids assist without issue.

We tried the Chevy and some older used Fords (as they currently are not making full size vans).

I was trying for a Chevy Suburban or Yukon XL, but the 2013 and 2014 are not even a bit reasonable for what you get.

When I was in Denver last year, I saw a black NVP 3500. I really thought it could do what I needed, so I took a chance and bought one.

I already had a pathfinder (1988-1998) and a  300Z . Then  I bought a 370Z to replace the 300Z. Nissan vehicles have been very reliable, just like the subarus i have owned.

I currently own 4 chevys. All of the ones before computers are good. My 2001 Chevy silverado is a great driving truck with a nice motor, but everthing is broke or has broke around the vehicle. 

With the NVP, I drove all year in the worst Michigan conditions 130+ inches of snow and mostly ice. I did get stuck a few times because I backed the vehicle over ledges and learned my lesson. 

The vehicle handles very well for it's size and I look right over the roof of a normal suburban. 

We have two sets of twin boys ages 12 and 7 with a large golden retriever. Everyone can get in and out without trouble and I can carry more family members out with us for dinner and events, which actually saves gas VS two or three vehicles.

I think the headlights suck. I will be upgrading those soon. 

The side door is heavy and will need a bit adjusting. I have to close it hard to get the lights to go off. 

That is another problem. I want to add a switch to completely kill the overhead lights. Kids don't always listen.

I couldn't be happier with my great white whale.  New rims and accessories will make the great white shark. :)

Edited by NoEffinMini4Me

The side door is heavy and will need a bit adjusting. I have to close it hard to get the lights to go off. 

This is a factory problem.  I explain the issue and the solution here: http://nissannvforum.com/topic/248-sliding-door-issues-on-3500-passenger/

A pic of the solution is here: http://nissannvowner.com/discussion/3/sliding-door-issue-with-solution#Item_3