rprice54

Oil Changes? (NV 3500)

Just bought our 3500SL a few days ago. Had to drive out of town since our local Nissan dealer doesn't carry any. They told me warranty service would have to be done at a dealership that was setup for the commercial vehicles. Closest is 30 miles away, not a deal breaker assuming I can drive it there or they will tow it there.

What I didn't ask, can my local dealer do the oil changes? Is there a hidden warranty issue? Or even your standard quick lube type place? I'm assuming the process would be similar to a Titan. I've changed my own oil several times, nothing magical about it.

I'm going to call my local dealership later when I get a chance, just curious what the community experience has been.

I was told the "commercial" dealers received special Nv training and had the appropriate lifts/ doors to accommodate them. I don't suspect any magic regarding the oil changes, but better to hear it directly from a dealer.

I service my NV 3500 just like any other vehicle I have ever owned. I don't bother with dealer oil changes as I know most places use the cheapest supplies they can source since it's a giveaway. I'd rather know the stuff going in my engine is at least decent quality aftermarket stuff.

Heavy metal Doctor you are so right! A friend told me a few days ago that the dealers don't put the best oil in at all. I'm getting my first oil change next week and I'll ask what kind they will put in but if it looks cheap I'll request a much better brand. Love my NV, dislike the service department. Lol!

You are correct. Non-commercial dealers wouldn't even touch this van. The closest commercial dealer is about 100 miles away. We take the van to a local mechanic. I buy Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and bring it in for them to use. They charge me for filters, tire rotation, and labor. 

Edited by chphilo

That's fine, the commercial dealer by me took over 1.5 hours to change oil and rotate the tires. They also missed the valve stems caps on 2 of the tires.

Next time I'm just going to pay for an oil change. The free maintenance isn't worth it to me.

Have to agree with Heavy Metal Doctor.  Had the Commercial Dealer do the first free one and was not impressed with the 1.5 hour wait or the generic mystery oil. Oil changes are easy in these trucks and our local Schuck's takes the waste oil for free.  43 years of driving and always done my own service using the good stuff.

I have some of "free" oil changes left and will not use them...  I do not mean to slam the service gang, they were nice and are just doing what corporate tells them.

Best Regards,

Mike

Edited by laharview

My local NON commercial Nissan dealer changed the trans and rear diff oil for me, also programmed a second ignition key without any issues.

Nissan does not supply a trans dip stick so I didn't want to chance putting in the wrong amount of fluid.

I agree on the engine oil changes though. I want to purchase the oil that goes in my vehicles. 5/30 Valvoline for me.

Good to know "some" non-commercial dealers will do NV service, but... If some commercial dealers have trouble getting it right on NVs that have been around for 5+ years, what could possibly go wrong.

It may be a footnote only in the 2012 service manual, that I did not see until after adding the optional to the regular 30k and 60k service. The transmission fluid is supposed to be lifetime and is not to be changed at 30 or 60k like most vehicles. I could not find any service interval where it should be changed... you would think the service writer and tech would know this.

It may fall into the "it can't hurt" category.