Builder

Alberta 2012 NV 2500 Conversion Questions: air conditioning; cabin air filter

Just getting started converting the empty van to some version of more useful. Ripped out the detritus and have done rust treatments, sprayed foam. About to put down new floor and walls. Two things have popped up which are annoying:

The heater defaults to air conditioning on! I usually remember to push the button and turn it off but an irritant when I don't. Anyone know how to fix this?

Looking for a cheaper cabin air filter - anyone found a reliable source? There was none installed and all the tubes were filled with dirt and dust. I modified a cheaper one by resizing it but is not ideal. I might just figure out how to make my own - not too difficult.

Thanks to all who are contributing to this forum - seriously helpful!

Builder

Welcome. Are you a builder to convert and sell or use? Either way post photos of your progress. 

Just for personal use. I'll try to post when I can, and expecially if I need help or can help someone. There are so many good conversions on here and elsewhere I can't imagine mine will be revolutionary! Thanks for the welcome!

Pays to search. This was partially answered long ago!  I want to change my filter more often with lower cost, so I'm going to get a roll of the filter materials and make my own. I figure the cost of the two filter media plus free cardboard and foam is $5 ea. for 10. Fold two sheets of light carboard into accordian shape like the filter. Make these about 7x8 inches and 1/4 inch smaller than the real filter size - but maintain the thickness of about 1 1/4 inch. Sandwich the two filter materials into the accordians. Hold in place and glue cardboard frame around the edges of accordian. To stiffen the accordian I'll probably spray with a light fixative - if it feels flimsy.  Put two strips of thin foam on the front and back edges and done! Basically, if you have one already just make it exactly like it. Of course it's all theoretical until the materials arrive. I'll let you know how it goes.

12 hours ago, crusty said:

$15 and it just fits without trying to modify things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RDLBG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link but I think I'll pass. I like to make things and also the materials I bought are high quality and made in US, without a cancer warning. Did you buy this filter yourself and install it without issues?

Edited by Builder

Yes, works perfect.  Installs like a factory designed filter should.