HERvan

2013 NV2500 keyless entry fob

I had a fob die due to water ingress; the rubber split.  Obtained two from aftermarket sources.  On the first attempt at programming, the indicator lights flashed when the key was inserted and withdrawn the appropriate amount of times.  Went through the programming instructions for both new fobs.  Followed the "exit from programming mode" instructions.  Neither fob works, and another factory fob (SO's) no longer works.

Attempted to program the two new fobs again, and the indicator lights never flash.  However, when pressing the "lock" button on any of the three fobs (2 new, 1 old), when in programming mode (I presume, I don't know), the indicator lights flash.  Following a variety of "exit programming mode" suggestions does nothing.  None of the fobs now work.

Could it be that the system is still in programming mode?  If so how does one verify this, and how does one exit?

The "key in ignition" chime has been disabled - I forget how it was done.  I might have removed a wire from the door switch; I will have to check.  Would this cause the issue?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

NO, this vehicle does not have keyless start, nor does it have the alarm system.  Also, the windows DO NOT roll up or down then the driver door key is held in the lock or unlock position.  All door locks and windows operate properly when operated manually.  The doors DO lock above 15 MPH, and unlock when shifted into Park.  This is a very basic commercial low-top van with the V-8 engine.

I did have an issue with the doors locking automatically without the fob being activated, but that issue has been resolved with some operator training ?.   zuhnc

Edited by HERvan

Well, 108 views and absolutely NO comments.  I guess this isn't a very important topic, or no one is smart enough to provide any suggestions.

2 suggestions.  Try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so and then repeat the learn process.  No idea if that will help, but it probably won't hurt.  Chances are very good there are capacitors which will thwart that reboot effort.  If you want to drain said caps, you can, but make certain you know the consequences to engine and transmission programming, and have any radio security codes at hand, if that is still a thing.  Or do the obvious and find someone with a diagnostic computer with those programming capabilities.

I am one of the 108 views and it should suggest we don’t have a clue. 

aztec will cringe at this, but take your van to a commercial dealer to get OEM key fobs (if the ones you bought aren’t), have them programmed and if needed hook up diagnostics. If you know a good independent shop, all the better. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can comprehend and repair pretty much anything made prior to 1990, but all this modern stuff is beyond my capabilities.

Battery disconnect didn't work.  No alarm or other programming, other than the radio.

The aftermarket fobs were returned - obviously not compatible, even though the seller says they were.

Made an appointment with the dealer; 50 miles one way.  No independent shops locally that want to deal with a 10-year old vehicle for an oddball problem.

Fingers crossed that the dealer can correct the problem without it costing me an arm and a few toes!

Edited by HERvan

Good luck. Let us know what this cost. 

I changed, twice in 5 years, key fob batteries in my car with no ill effects. I hope the same is true for 10 year old Nissan key fobs. So far no need. 

On both our Xterra and the NV3500, we got Nissan Rogue (combined key blank and remote) keys for about $10 each on eBay, and had the local Nissan service department program them. First time around, they said 'This is a first!' Second time, they just said, 'OK'. About $50 each as I recall.

Have you looked for a YouTube video and see if there is a step that is done a little different from how you do it?  I recall that there are many little things that have to be right.  Are all the doors closed fully, what is done after the programming for it to take a set.  There may be a little step you are missing, or misinterpreting from the written instructions.  I've done that many times.  On paper it says to do this, but there are two different ways this can be done and I chose the non-normal way.  Don't know it was wrong until I see someone else do it right. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:24 PM, HERvan said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can comprehend and repair pretty much anything made prior to 1990, but all this modern stuff is beyond my capabilities.

Battery disconnect didn't work.  No alarm or other programming, other than the radio.

The aftermarket fobs were returned - obviously not compatible, even though the seller says they were.

Made an appointment with the dealer; 50 miles one way.  No independent shops locally that want to deal with a 10-year old vehicle for an oddball problem.

Fingers crossed that the dealer can correct the problem without it costing me an arm and a few toes!

There are software programs that mimic the factory consult computer.  Never seen one that advertises compatibility with the NV though.  There are also fob programming gadgets.  Worth a try before you go to the nuclear option.

HERvan and aztec. It depends on how quickly you want this resolved. 

None of the key fobs currently work, but the dealer may be able to reprogram the second OEM key fob? Or the problems will persist... Hope it comes down to reprogramming and the cost of a second key fob. 

Had to go to the dealer for a resolution.  1 new fob, reprogram one original fob, diagnostics - about $500.00.  Everything now works.

And, we had a good meal at a local restaurant.  Where I live is 20-30 miles from any good place to eat.

This isn’t the topic I wanted personal experience, but I lost 1 key and fob on last trip. Interior got a great detailing looking for a misplaced key. No such luck. 

Everything I read suggested biting the bullet and going to the dealership for NVs. 

1 key blank (part #H0564-7Y010)

$47.60

1 key fob (part #28268-ZT03A)

$140.42 

Dealership had to get code from Nissan Corp to be able to program key and fob. (Nissan limits keys to 5 copies.) 

$179.00

Problems started when first key was improperly cut. “Machine malfunction.” New key ordered. Then they couldn’t program the new key/fob. Left van there and told them to call me when new key/fob worked. Took 2 1/2 days. 

New, before programming, and remaining key worked in all doors except the driver’s door. In almost 12 years, I never used the actual key to open door locks. My guess is the driver’s lock never worked. 

Total cost for this misadventure was $401.70.