mahu

Are NV2500 keys chipped or not?

I want to get another spare key, not the fob, just a key to open the van and start the engine. On the NV2500 Facebook group everyone insists that NV keys are not chipped...which i find hard to believe. Everyone says they just got their keys cut at Home Depot for $10 and that those open and start the van. I thought keys had to be programmed and when I went to ACE hardware they lady at the counter put the key into a reader and said she could order it for $99. So who is right here? Are the nv keys chipped or not?

i got a 2016 NV2500 SL.

Thanks!!

Not personally sure, but wanted to pop in and say welcome back!  What the heck have you been up to? 

I need a door key to carry on expeditions around a lanyard without carrying my full set, so I can run to home depot tomorrow and try and report back, if nobody answers conclusively by then.

Reading this post made me curious on whether I had a chipped key or not.  Looking at the 2016 passenger and cargo van brochures it appears that the passenger version came standard with the immobilizer on the SV and SL models (not available on the S) and the cargo version had the immobilizer just on the 2500 & 3500 SL models.  So the answer is, it depends.

3 hours ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Not personally sure, but wanted to pop in and say welcome back!  What the heck have you been up to? 

I need a door key to carry on expeditions around a lanyard without carrying my full set, so I can run to home depot tomorrow and try and report back, if nobody answers conclusively by then.

Moved to Tahoe, got married, got divorced...in that order.  

Used the NV for quite a few road trips in the West for up to 3-4 weeks at a time. 
I'm doing full time van life now ini Tahoe post divorce! I see a few NVs around. If anyone is from the area or passing through shoot me a message. 

2016 NV2500 with 50,000 miles and still going strong. No issues. Just did 2nd time brake fluid and 1st time transmission fluid. Other than that just oil changes. Everyone has their $120k Sprinters up her...nuts. 

2 hours ago, OpenRoad said:

Reading this post made me curious on whether I had a chipped key or not.  Looking at the 2016 passenger and cargo van brochures it appears that the passenger version came standard with the immobilizer on the SV and SL models (not available on the S) and the cargo version had the immobilizer just on the 2500 & 3500 SL models.  So the answer is, it depends.

Oh fantastic! That's quite the research. Thank you so much! So since mine is an SL it'll be chipped. So FB group NV owners must mostly have the Cargo SV and S models since 90% of them are insisting they can start theirs with a $5 replacement key with no chip. 

Now that I live in the van I want to put on in aa "hitch safe" so that I don't get locked out in case I lose the key during adventures in nature. 

Mahu. Welcome back. From your last winter photos, I just assumed you parked it and went skiing. 

You put a lot of time and effort into the design and build. How did everything work out? 

Given your NV’s name, I reread Travels with Charlie. Good read to take traveling. Penguin Classics has reprinted most of Steinbeck’s novels and short stories. On a long library waiting list to read Log From the Sea of Cortez. 

Edited by radin2son

15 hours ago, mahu said:

Now that I live in the van I want to put on in aa "hitch safe" so that I don't get locked out in case I lose the key during adventures in nature. 

Theoretically, for your hypothetical situation, I would try the $10 home depot key.  With no chip, it won't start the car, but it should unlock the doors.  This way, you don't have to worry about somebody breaking into the hitch safe and stealing the van...worst case they can get in but can't drive off...

Also, sorry to hear about the divorce but glad to see you're still out there traveling, and hope you'll stick around!  Rad is moving around out that way, and we have a newer older member who is also gearing up for western travels.  Congrats on going fulltime.

-laf

Edited by Local Apparent Friday

18 hours ago, mahu said:

Oh fantastic! That's quite the research. Thank you so much! So since mine is an SL it'll be chipped. So FB group NV owners must mostly have the Cargo SV and S models since 90% of them are insisting they can start theirs with a $5 replacement key with no chip. 

A chipped spare key hidden inside the van, in a hard for even you to get at spot.

Unchipped key in the hitch safe.  Gets you into the van but not drivable, unless you know where the real key is hidden.

Start with the unchipped key.  I heard there are some chipped keys that use a battery and copy themselves off the original key.  Avoid those.  When the little battery dies, so does the key.  Not good for a spare.  Battery will likely be dead by the time you need it.  Since you are not hard up for a new key right this moment, shop around.  There are a lot better options than $100 from Ace.