OpenRoad

Suspension Help w/ Sumo Springs

I have a 2015 NV2500 cargo that I have built out for camping.  With the additional weight the rear was low from the unladen spec height by about 1 1/2".  I have the total built out weight of my van somewhere but I know I am way under the limit.  I still have the original factory shocks and at 60k miles they are probably due (next project?).  I am not really interested in going the air shock route so as a first step decided to try the simple solution of installing the Sumo Spring product. They bolt onto where the factory frame rubber bumpers were that prevent the axle from hitting the frame.  I know some others have used this product but thought I would share my thoughts.  They are a little expensive for what they are (~$280) but are very easy to install and seem like they will hold up for awhile.  There are 2 options, a 1000lb capacity and a 1500 lb capacity.  I went with the heavier option.  They are approx. 6" in height and after installation the frame is resting on them.  The van now sits about 3/4" higher than before but still below spec unladen height.  My suspension performance was acceptable before but I have noticed that sideways roll when going over uneven terrain is somewhat dampened and normal driving seems a little quieter.  Not a dramatic difference though.

So I think the install was worth the easy effort and they provide a positive benefit.

So now on to shocks.  Does anyone have a recommendation?  Think I have seen some using Gabriels.  Thanks.

Edited by OpenRoad

Gabriel, Monroe, Or OEM are your choices. Iirc the Monroe are listed as the heavy duty on rock auto.  I have the sonic as well.  I don't think they make the light duty one for the full size van. 

OpenRoad, sorry I don't have any shock suggestions, but I am curious where you found the unladen ride height specs?  And how would a person go about measuring it? We have a 2012 NV3500 High Roof with a camper conversion. It's still well below GVWR but it definitely seems to be riding lower than before the conversion. Wish I would have measured it and wrote it down but didn't. Thanks.

Nimbus,

Sorry for delay reply, I have family visiting.  The unladen height spec I used is shown in section RSU (RSU -12) of the shop manual.  Here is a shot of the page. If you have different tire size than stock you will need to take that into account.

image.png

I’m not sure what to do with this info as in no one drives around in an empty van. Plus, Nissan most likely accounted for “sag” when loaded. So, what is the rear arch number when fully loaded to spec? 

New shocks? Sure. Anything else? Not so sure. 

OpenRoad, Thanks for posting that. That is just what I was looking for. 

radin2son, for me it was mainly curiosity. I just wanted to see how much suspension squat the weight of our new camper build caused. It still drives nice with the extra weight, maybe even better than before, so I'm not too worried about it. I haven't measured it yet, my driveway is at a slant, but I will soon, and if radically different from the stock height I might consider upgrading the springs. By "fully loaded to spec," are you asking what the ride height is when the vehicle is loaded to max GVWR? 

Edited by Nimbus

Chart is based on what it should be when it leaves the factory and shows up at the dealership.  About the only time the condition can be accurately accounted for.  Start loading it with cargo and it will depend on how much cargo and where the cargo is located at.  You can put a half ton pallet in the slide door or just inside the back door.  Same weight, different locations, different amount of suspension squat.  It would take pages of charts to figure how much weight in what location should make for how much squat. 

A Sportsmobile NV 2500 standard top conversion adds about 1000 lbs (6917 lbs) to the stock cargo van (5996 lbs).

It is parked level with 30 gallons of water plus some gear we normally take. Rear arch measurement is 34 1/4”. 

Added RB/50N floor plan photo. 20 gallon water tank under couch. House batteries mounted to frame under side entrance step. 

Aldo added photo of pop top… No noticeable sag. 

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

I like the camper conversion do you have more pics and pricing info. Thanks

Lots of “in use” photos (check travels in NV SMB) but what you probably want are interior photos.

There is one for sale on Sportsmobile.com, (Texas) with photos. Asking $46k. 

30 built (standard and high tops, V6 and V8s) in 2012-13 for $65-73+k. 

Can be converted to 4x4 but not needed. 

Edited by radin2son