Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

NVP First Road Trip Notes

Took our new NVP on it's first road trip from home in Central Michigan to Madison, Nebraska to visit family this past weekend. 1700 miiles round trip. Broke each trip into 2 days to help the kiddos out. I give it a 9 out of 10, it worked awsome. I took notes on the way, for anyone who may be interested:

-Averaged between 14.5 and 16 mpg. Considering it was always windy, raining most of the time, and usually going between 70-75, I call that satisfactory. Not impressive, but physics are physics.

- Even though it has a lot more weight than our previous 2004 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Conversion van with the 5.3l., it's a lot quicker. Off the line there's no comparison, the NV is downright quick for a van.  And going 55 and stomping on it to pass is equally impressive. It's no Mustang, but it downshifts quickly and picks up speed a lot faster than the GM did.

- I considered the drivers seat to be very comfy for all the around-home driving we had done before the trip. On the trip though, after 6-7 hours of driving, my tail bone got really, really sore. I'm 5'10" and 180lbs. But, I adjusted the bottom cushion angle and lumbar, and it seemed to make a big difference. I tend to have the seat set a bit too much like a race car (very close to the steering wheel, bottom cusion tilted way up, back very upright) for the long drive.

-Love the Brakes. So much more confidence inspiring than our old van. Those GM brakes were horrible, more than a few times I had been scared by their lack of power. and stopping ability. And I find myself going a lot faster on exit/entrance ramps, it just feels like the COG is much lower. A lot less body roll and feeling like I'm on stilts.

-No way to turn on all dome lights is a bummer. Luckily my oldest daughter could reach the dome light from her car seat.

-Headlights aren't very impressive, especially on low. I'll be getting a monster bright LED light bar from superbrightleds.com eventually. Probably put it in the center hole in the bumper.

-Kids and wife loved all the room. Hooking a laptop to the power source, running an audio line to the radio, and playing movies kept the kids happy when they got tired of looking out the huge windows.

- A padded door armrest and center console would be nice.  But then again,  I'm glad I didn't pay $20,000 more, get less space, and blend in to the sea of SUV's just to get a few fancy touches like that. I like driving a vehicle that has 95% of what I want, nothing I don't, and doesn't stick me with a load of options todays girly-men demand just to make them feel special.

I love the way it looks, drives, and does it's job with no fuss.  It's not for everyone, but I'd recomend it to anyone.

-Andy

Edited by andy_george

Hey I resent that girly man comment.  I am trying to figure out how to get some padding on that door armrest and console myself! :)

I'm also with you on the headlights, need to find some way to improve that. 

Thanks for the write up, can't wait to take the beast on a long trip myself. 

Andy ; Nice write up . I bought my bare bones rolling metal building to do what I wanted it to do . Haul me and my kids to motorcycle Trials events , wherever they may be . I've insulated , added O.E. side panels , a 2/3rds bench seat from a E350. And some speakers to the rear, along with a window in the slider.

I love the van for what it is , not for what it isn't...  It does anything I want it to do . I do get asked why do you drive that big thing everyday ?

And I have to laugh when it's a guy in a shiny 1 ton 4x4 pickup asking ...

Glenn

Yup, that arm rest is hard on the elbow.

I bought one of those mouse pads with the raised gel wrist pad. Then I cut off the thin mouse part

and used double sided tape to attach the gel wrist pad to the arm rest. Works good.