fredtw0

VK56DE swap for VK56VD

I am having coolant and oil consumption on my 2016 VK56DE at 139k miles and was looking to see if anybody has ever swapped in the VK56VD into the 2016 (or prior) models.

My thoughts were for a physically younger, lower mileage unit from copart.  I would likely want the trans too; however, perhaps the simpler fix would be just to trade the engines.

Would the electronics on the van drive the VK56VD as if it were a VK56DE?

Worst case, maybe I swap the engine, trans, and ... what, harness?  computer?  What else would need to migrate, does anybody know?

The rear diff is a different ratio as well, correct?

There is a surprising amount of difference.  The engine is paired with the transmission, so transmission swap as well.  I recall the shift linkage is slightly different up in the column as well.  All the engine/transmission wiring.  The meter looks the same, but now shows more gears and has to match the programming of the engine/transmission.  Driveshaft mating to the transmission different as well.  You are correct about axle ratio being a little different. 

Unless you got a complete donor vehicle I don't see this being a viable swap. 

Skip copart too unless you want to pay fees.  Find a local yard on carpart and buy a DE there, simplest and easiest.  I went this route, and bought 100k mile engine with a warranty for $1200, IIRC, but I could have bought as new as 35k miles.  If you haven't already read my thread, you ideally want an NV engine.  If you go with a titan/armada, you'll need to swap some parts from your engine to the new one.  The physical engine swap is easy.

Edited by Local Apparent Friday