Sign in to follow this  
nvmx

non-LT tire selection on nv2500

Hey guys, 

just picked up a '13 nv2500 and am wondering about tire selection, especially for the upcoming winter. I know the stock tire size is LT245/70R17. Has anyone run standard P245/70R17's? The regular version of blizzak dm-v2s are considerably cheaper and have a 110 load range (~2300lbs/tire). My van will be mostly empty 99% of the time unless i'm loading up to go mx racing or for some other trip, no real build out in the rear aside from a standard cargo divider and probably a plywood floor at some point, so I really don't see the need for 119 load range (3000lbs/tire) tires when even 110's would still safely support the entire 9100lb GVWR and then some at max inflation pressure, and I will never be rolling around fully loaded. Also won't be towing anything. I'm assuming ride comfort and mpg's will be better due to the less hefty construction, and they're also cheaper and there are more options than the LT versions. 

I have a similar question for my desired tire choice for the rest of the year (falken wildpeak at3w's), which are a 114 load range, which again is still more than enough. 

I am aware if my rear tires are at 50psi or whatever the appropriate max inflation pressure is for the given selected tire that the TPMS light will be on. no big deal, can just read through the pressures once in a while and make sure nothing's leaking. I'm generally pretty on top of stuff and not worried about accidentally missing a leaking tire or something like that. 

Thanks!

So the P's will not take more than 44 pounds of air, and are not rated for the load.  Somebody was just asking this on Facebook too, except they had already ordered the wrong tires.  In that thread, someone mentioned knowledge of someone that had had a P blow out spontaneously on an NV.  I have no direct knowledge of that, but honestly is it worth it?  It might hold, it might not.  Let's do the pros and cons:

Pros: you save $100.

Cons: The tire spontaneously explodes and causes the vehicle to swerve violently and you hit a child on the curb, who is now maimed for life.  The family sues you, and your insurance declines to cover you on your liability because you had passenger car tires on a 1 ton van.  You are now millions of dollars in debt, for life.

Dramatic? Absolutely.  Plausible?  100%.  Spend the $100.  I actually just logged in to look for tire reqs as I'm looking for a highway tire to save my expensive ass BFGs that I'm running on the highway for no reason to get to the track hauling MY bikes.  It's a fact of life, my guy.  I'm personally looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse at about $250, if that helps, but I don't think anybody here is going to assume the liability of telling you it's a good idea.  Best of luck with whatever you decide though.

-laf

FYI the workhorse isn't a good choice for you since you mentioned winter driving.  Try the BFG KO2's, I ran those in Maine on a different vehicle and liked them a lot.  There are a slew of budget brands too that are perfectly fine, just noisy as they wear.  Honestly I'd buy used tires before I bought passenger tires.  Best,