Sign in to follow this  
helpme

Is my engine locked up

Hello I bought a engine from a junkyard the people put it in and it ran they started it 4-5 times. Then it wouldn't start like the starter went out of it so they put a new starter on it. Then same problem existed then they tested by turning the motor said it turned but was kind of hard. What else should we try? The van has been sitting 3yrs the junkyard said the motor ran it supposed to have 106,000 miles on it. Please send me your suggestions I'm hoping someone will see this that had the same problem and could help me fix mine thank u for your time.

If it turns over at all, it's not "locked up." 

Not a lot of details were given, is this a v6 or v8?  Gen 1 or gen 2?

A couple thoughts;

First and foremost, most JY pulls come with a 30 to 90 day warranty, so research your options in exchanging/returning.  I had to do this with the first JY pull that I purchased.

Did the donor engine come specifically from an NV, or was it from a titan/armada?  IF it came from anything other than an NV, you need to make sure that they specifically moved ALL the sensors, flywheel AND engine harness from YOUR old engine over to the new engine.  Everything looks the same and the harness will plug in, but if it didn't come from an NV, it's not the same.

A fully dressed modern engine with all the accoutrements can be a lot to spin over by hand.  Pull the coils and plugs completely out of the engine...this will make it significantly easier to spin over to test.  

Lastly, the best way to be sure that things look good is by doing a leakdown test.  Any reputable mechanic shop should know what this is and have the tools on hand to perform it.  

Apologies I didn't get to this sooner, I've been busy with a family wedding and haven't been online much.  

-laf

I also never recommend throwing parts at a problem...have them go through the proper diagnostic chain.  A starter is easily bench testable with a digital multimeter, some jumper cables, and a car battery.  If it literally isn't turning over at all, be sure that they connected the main 12v lead to the starter.  It is a separate lead that falls down alongside the battery tray and is easy to miss.  I personally had that experience, but was able to diagnose using a DMM and then trace it out.