Sign in to follow this  
ics

Hello from New York

I am the new owner of a 2013 NV3500, "semi" passenger van. It appears to have begun life as a people mover and then at some point had the seats removed, carpeting taken up, and the usual scars from moving tools, equipment, or whatever the last guy had. It still has the rear air bags, HVAC, and seat rails which I'm hoping can be removed or worked around if there are any good examples. The purpose of this van is a work-away-from-home vehicle that can be comfortably slept in but not a camper. I welcome any suggestions on places to start particularly those here with passenger variants for the reasons above. Attached is a pic of the big guy waiting for his inspection.

IMG_0553.jpeg

Can you elaborate a little as to your use?  Just a bed, or fridge/stove/etc?  Carrying tools?  What are you looking for, let's start there.

Consider modular units that can be set up or removed as needed. 

Ventilation may be an issue. Roof fan or front window vents (someone here has these) would help. 

Good luck. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:08 PM, Local Apparent Friday said:

Can you elaborate a little as to your use?  Just a bed, or fridge/stove/etc?  Carrying tools?  What are you looking for, let's start there.

Sure thing. What I consider essential for overnighting is a flat surface for sleeping bag or futon, minifridge or ice box, and a small induction cooktop. The only integration I care about there really is the bed surface so that I can keep it remove/stowable and only set up when desired. Tool-wise, I've got light carpentry tools, some power tools, and miscellaneous stuff like computer, soldering iron, and test equipment. I'm considering how feasible it is to store everything along the sides like cabinets, with a shelf near window level to support either bed or work surface without it getting too crowded. Yes, I wanted the standard roof for other practical reasons.

radin2son, ventilation is a good point. I'd be curious to see examples you mention. Off the top of my head one of the rear windows seemed like a place to start: replace with steel panel, add fan/other equipment potentially, and mount without cutting into the existing body.

Any thoughts on the rear seat rails? That's going to be my weekend brainstorm which should most likely be posted elsewhere.

I would leave the rear window as is.

CR Laurence may still make side windows with lower half awning vents for NVs, slider and driver’s side. They come with screens. There are other manufacturers but problem will be availability. 

With all those windows, it will be like living in a fishbowl at night. You can make your own roll up thinsulate panels. 

Can you just put a subfloor over the tracks? 

Edited by radin2son

Whoops by rear I meant the rear side windows. Thanks for the tip on CR Laurence, looks promising. One of the existing windows on the driver side is a tilt-open which I assume is stock so I can use that in the meantime but screen is important.

Subfloor over tracks is doable, having read up on it a little more and looking at it up close I see they're weldnuts that would be a PITA if I can avoid it. I would still need to mount something like unistrut around them and finding clear space might be tricky but there's some time to think about it as the temperature is going to be in the teens for the next week or so.

You may be able to get by with replacing only the slider window. You can buy screen material and make screens for the driver side tilt out and front door windows (think pillow case for these).