Sign in to follow this  
Tatunka

Gas tank protector and engine skid plate

So in the fall I had gotten sick of the plastic underbody wind diverter thingy under the front bumper and decided since this beast of a truck was 4wd, it should somewhat play the part. And what I needed was some skid plates to replace said crappy plastic wind diverter that probably saves 0.001 mpgs. So I built a skid plate that I modeled after the plastic one and bolted it on, it shares 4 out of 6 holes with the old part and will protect the underside much better.

So here is a picture with some added salt to make the ninnies in Arizona jelly.

3418837_l.jpg

So after that I took a look at the plastic unprotected fuel tank, not good. But good news, as of August 2014 Nissan now installs gas tank protectors on all new Nissan NV's per the BBG, Part Number 508901PA0A. So I didn't have to make one, just order the part. So I went to Nissan and tried to order the part, which according to many parts people didn't exist even though I had a picture showing it from the BBG. But I did find the parts manager that was curious enough to look in to it and found the part.

Mounting it was pretty easy, three of the five holes need to be drilled into the frame and I used self tapping 1 inch screws with a washer in those spots, and the last two holes you need to remove the nuts on two studs that hold two cables going to the rear of the vehicle and replace with the gas tank protector next to the frame and then the cable holders and finally the nuts. Pretty damn easy and it gives me a little more piece of mind.

Here are the two nuts, cable holders, and studs with the protector mounted next to the frame.

3418839_l.jpg

And here is the finished product with added salt to highlight the beautiful gas tank protector.

3418838_l.jpg

Edited by Tatunka

I love doing projects like that.  I like the skid guard.  

But Jeesh....I do not miss those salty mid west roads.  You spray down her undercarriage a lot?  My last year out there I kind of got stuck using my 78 bronco which had previously never seen salt.  I know have a few places where the rust has started.  Hurts me to even think about it :/

Tatunka - nice work!!!

Is there an actual part number for that gas tank protector that you could share with us?

I thought I took a picture of it, but I can't find now. I will add it to the OP when I find it.

I found the part number, it is 508901PA0A. And it is added to the OP.

Edited by Tatunka

Thanks for posting the part number - looks like a much needed upgrade.